Headlight help on a 2006 GMC Sierra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rd174

Marksman
Reaction score
Hoping one of the members on here could point me in the right direction on a DIY or if I need to get it in the shop. Was driving a family friends 2006 GMC Sierra a couple days ago and we were out after dark, have never driven the truck in the dark and possibly has never been driven in the dark. Its a 2006 with 3,800 miles. That is not a typo. Anyways, we went to leave after dark and the auto setting on the headlight switch was on and the lights would not turn on, also wouldn't turn on at any position on the switch. I checked the fuses and noticed the relay switch was warm, Switched it with a different relay of the same type and still nothing was working. My brother who was helping me could hear a click when I would change the position of the headlight switch. The only way I could get the lights to work is to hold the blinker(dim/bright switch) towards me, and had to hold it the whole drive home. The only lights that worked as should were the fog lights. I could not find any wires chewed. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

Rd174

Marksman
Reaction score
Holding the blinker make the high beams work. Check the low beam bulbs
Should of put this in my original post, I did check the bulbs and they were good. And to try to explain better, its the blinker switch but if that switch is pushed towards the front of the truck its the high beams, pull it towards you and that's the low beams, pull it back from the low beam position and that's when I will typically flash my lights if an oncoming car has their high beams on. So if I constantly hold the switch all the way towards me, my high beams will work.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should have put this in my original post, I did check the bulbs and they were good. And to try to explain better, its the blinker switch but if that switch is pushed towards the front of the truck its the high beams, pull it towards you and that's the low beams, pull it back from the low beam position and that's when I will typically flash my lights if an oncoming car has their high beams on. So if I constantly hold the switch all the way towards me, my high beams will work.
Didn’t. Mention if the high beams work in high position, but sounds like a bad turn signal harness.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward switch from what you are describing.
Screenshot_20240726_102810_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The switch on the dash sends power to relay if I'm recalling correctly. Relay directs power to appropriate lights according to switch position. Long story short, power for high or low beam goes through that switch to power headlights. By manipulating that switch you can get them to work is telling me that it more than likely is contact issue in the switch.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Pics of an 18 year old truck with 3,800 miles please! Many say the 06 was the last good body style. Easily distinguished by the tall front edge of the hood. It’s almost cowl like from the cab. I believe it was the only year with that hood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom