Help a Dummy Get Started Day Trading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are worried about tax consequences, you can open a self directed Roth IRA and max out your contributions. Then put the excess funds in a second account. You can move over the maximum amount every year. While this may not seem like much, it adds up over time.

I am worried about taxes, thanks for the tip.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
please help me understand buying stock on margin...

Stock "X" is $100 per share. I buy 10 shares using margin (which has an interest rate of 8%) for $1000. Meaning I now owe the broker $80 to be paid back I'm guessing when the stock sells?

So, as a day trader, I would need the price of the stock to swing upward more than $85 (including transaction fee) in order to make any money at all on the trade?

I know in order to be a PDT you must have a minimum of $25k in your account, and really you need a lot more due to free ride regulations (that also sucks). So say I have $30k cash in my account (not using margin). I can only buy and sell $5k worth of stock before I have to wait the 3 business days for funds to settle?

Ive gotten to where I am by not taking loans and by not using credit cards so that margin interest rate of 8%, if I am understanding it correctly, is garbage. Ive been paper trading, making $50 here, $75 there...thinking I'm doing good and damned if that aint even enough to cover my interest rate.

I'm starting to see why "The easiest way to make a small fortune day trading is to start with a large fortune."

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked into forex trading? I have just started researching it, but it seems like it might be a bit easier to get started in than the stock market.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
please help me understand buying stock on margin...

Stock "X" is $100 per share. I buy 10 shares using margin (which has an interest rate of 8%) for $1000. Meaning I now owe the broker $80 to be paid back I'm guessing when the stock sells?

So, as a day trader, I would need the price of the stock to swing upward more than $85 (including transaction fee) in order to make any money at all on the trade?

I know in order to be a PDT you must have a minimum of $25k in your account, and really you need a lot more due to free ride regulations (that also sucks). So say I have $30k cash in my account (not using margin). I can only buy and sell $5k worth of stock before I have to wait the 3 business days for funds to settle?

Ive gotten to where I am by not taking loans and by not using credit cards so that margin interest rate of 8%, if I am understanding it correctly, is garbage. Ive been paper trading, making $50 here, $75 there...thinking I'm doing good and damned if that aint even enough to cover my interest rate.

I'm starting to see why "The easiest way to make a small fortune day trading is to start with a large fortune."

Margin is using the value of existing securities to expand your purchasing power.

After the last dip in Apple I have a good number of shares I purchased on margin when it dropped below $90 last Thursday. I didn't have the free cash to make the purchase, but I had the margin capabilities of existing stocks/funds.

I can sell today for almost a 4% gain, not bad for 4 days, I'll hold out a little longer, but the interest is adding up daily so I need to balance interest charged versus profit.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an FYI, and you must make your own decisions, Target, and WalMart are getting hit hard today. If you are a bad news buyer, this might be an opportunity...

Latest posts

Top Bottom