High Power Scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the market for a high power scope, preferably something with 20x magnification minimum (338 lapua and eventually possibly to go on a 50 bmg) that will stand up to the shock of large caliper rifles. Of course Nightforce is the standard, but 2 grand or more for a scope is probably out of budget. Vortex has some good looking ones in the Viper line, and Millet had some steeply discounted as wells. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at? Any place in particular to purchase from that is a decent deal?

Have use a nikon monarch and like it alot, no real experience with anything else though.

Thanks for any help.

Billy

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried millet and was displeased. Ended up just taking the hit and getting a night force. It only hurts once.
vortex are nice though but prices seem comparable to NF. Plan on buying one of their spotting scopes next

hk33

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
NightForce is the inexpensive option. For a long range rifle like the 338LM if you put a cheap scope on it you are wasting your time and money. I use NightForce scopes and I like them a lot but the high end options are Schmidt & Bender, Premier Reticles, and US Optics.

For a long range rifle you need the adjustable reticle and in my opinion the zero stop is well worth the extra money. No matter how accurate a rifle is it is only as good as the optics.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of shooting are you planning to do?
Plinking
Hunting
Tactical
F-Class

$1000 will get you a lot of scope. Every little improvement from there costs a lot; however, just because something costs a lot - doesn't mean that it was improved in the specific area. Rifle scopes are fine precision instruments with very small (read - fragile) parts - the most marginal improvement in ruggedness costs a fortune.

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The uses of this scope is for 338 lapua made by Savage for now. Someday I might get a .50 once I get bored with the lapua, but thats down the line. And honestly, I have no reason to have a 338 lapua other than its a giant shell that makes loud noises. Not planning on doing competitions, but I'm pretty accurate with my other long range rifle so I don't want just junk. Mostly paper targets and possible someday I would take that on an elk hunt, maybe? Or Grizzley? I can't think of any other time I would use it. Unless they open up whale hunting or I move to Africa to shoot elephants (those shells are ridiculous when you get them in your hand...my shoulder is hurting already and I haven't even shot it yet).

I just can't afford anything like a US optics. Thats like 3 house payments. I love to shoot, but it would just be overkill on the type of shooting I do.

If that helps with recommendations. It looks like people are recommending Nightforce, Sightron, Vortex and Bushnell Elite. Anything else I should research?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that helps with recommendations. It looks like people are recommending Nightforce, Sightron, Vortex and Bushnell Elite. Anything else I should research?

Leupy Mk4s

I have no reason to have a 338 lapua other than its a giant shell that makes loud noises.
With that in mind I would get Elite 10x40 and spend the rest on more "shells that make loud noises".

Latest posts

Top Bottom