Your choice for a 'high end' value long range scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are probably realizing the differences between high end glass and budget glass built to a price point. You mentioned S&B. If S&B is within the budget then I would not even pick up a Viper PST II. For something high value, big bang for your buck, that I think would wallop a PST II is Tract Toric optics and Meopta Optika 6 in like a 3-18x50. You're talking in the $500-$600 range for a scope that will be great to get your feet wet. They perform well above their price point. Tract Toric UHD is about $1200 in the 4-20x50 configuration, nearly double the Optika 6.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are probably realizing the differences between high end glass and budget glass built to a price point. You mentioned S&B. If S&B is within the budget then I would not even pick up a Viper PST II. For something high value, big bang for your buck, that I think would wallop a PST II is Tract Toric optics and Meopta Optika 6 in like a 3-18x50. You're talking in the $500-$600 range for a scope that will be great to get your feet wet. They perform well above their price point. Tract Toric UHD is about $1200 in the 4-20x50 configuration, nearly double the Optika 6.

I can stretch my budget toinclude whatever I want it to... but is it really WORTH the value of a decent used CAR, is the question. And to me, right now, I don't think so. I've already more than tripled my budget on the rifle alone, so I think when it comes down to glass in a few weeks, I probably won't go that high. Probably not over $1k, actually. Building the rifle, I have gone no compromise on some things, but those things are more permanent - glass can be swapped out later if I should decide I need to do so.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a scope that suits your needs. The glass is honestly irrelevant at this point. If you're not willing to shell out the cash for a top line scope, you'll never know the difference. Do you really care about CA on snow at 1400 yards? If you'll never compete that far you'll never shoot an animal that far. It won't matter. Pick something in your budget and shoot it. Just because you can shoot 1200 yards doesn't mean you'l practice that far. If it shoots to 1K, you're already 2/3rds of the way there.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've watched so many videos, read so many specs and reviews.... sheesh.

I started leaning towards the Athlons, and now I'm actually looking pretty heavily at the options from Arken. It might be a good option for shooting for something really good but not gambling the retirement fund on it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a nice scope, but I think I can beat it on features for price. It looks like it's the Gen 1, non-HD/ED glass. I like that reticle, too, but I think glass quality is going to be more important to me if it's something I'm going to keep for the long term and shoot out to great distances.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually just ordered one yesterday. I decided to go with an Arken EP4 6-24x56. It's a new company, I have emailed and texted with the owner and founder and he seems a good guy. The product is by most accounts very good, seems competitive at two to three times its price point.

Solid clicky turrets
Zero stop
ED glass
Lifetime warranty
Absolute tracking guarantee

So... for $600 I figured it's worth a shot. If it isn't great, I'm not out that much, but if it is as good as it could be, I will be extremely happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom