Hog Trapping How To

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Kinda like havin' them around. They come on our place in Henryetta quite a bit, tear up my food plots, but other than that, no big deal. I was fillin' my feeders about 1/3 of the year, but I think I'm gonna keep 'em goin' year-round so the hogs will stay. I shoot some, and eat the ones I kill, but I'd hate to see them gone.

Does the population of them stay fairly constant? There's a group of about a dozen hogs that appear off and on just SW of me, and have for ten years or so. We don't have the cover needed for them to thrive I guess. A year or two will go by, and then they'll appear again until someone shoots a couple of them.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the population of them stay fairly constant? There's a group of about a dozen hogs that appear off and on just SW of me, and have for ten years or so. We don't have the cover needed for them to thrive I guess. A year or two will go by, and then they'll appear again until someone shoots a couple of them.

Changes from year to year. We have creek/swamp/jungle that runs down one side of our land - and the creek/jungle is pretty much the same for miles. 3 miles to N Canadian river - lots of hogs down there! We have plenty of cover, but only 160 acres, so they come stay with us until I shoot one (or yell at one), then they'll leave for a short while.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you took a mature animal. Too many hunters want to "not go home empty-handed" and kill small pigs. I understand some may need the meat to live on, but it makes it hard on those of us that want to take a trophy.

LOL, funny reference to another thread I think, but make no mistake, Bassin (hogslayer) has killed plenty of small baby pigs, I have 1/2 of one in my freezer, need to get it out and put it on the smoker.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, funny reference to another thread I think, but make no mistake, Bassin (hogslayer) has killed plenty of small baby pigs, I have 1/2 of one in my freezer, need to get it out and put it on the smoker.

I've killed little ones as well - I feel the same way about deer. They all taste good.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kill a ton (literally) sometimes. Some of that goes to the table, a lot goes to the coyotes, then I shoot coyotes. Hogs are not considered a game animal by ODWC, therefore it is not wanton waste to leave a hog carcass.

I do try and find somebody who wants to pick up hog carcasses, but when they are told they will have to process, most shy away and give excuses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom