Horsemeat In The Foodchain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's really just an aesthetics issue. Not harmful at all. It's just we think of horses in much the same way we think of of dogs and cats, more as pets. We don't usually think of cows, pigs, or chickens as anything more than food, so it's not horrifying when we eat beef, pork, or a nice piece of white meat. A Trigger steak, Molly fritters, or Mama Kitty stir fry, on the other hand... HORRORS!!!

Pretty much the bottom line. Horses are thougt of in the same frame of mind as dogs and cats.

Pets. We are the only country in the world that thinks this way.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slap a little FD&C Red #5 on there, smother that baby in high fructose corn syrup, toss in some sodium benzoate, stamp on the "USDA approved" label and we're good to go!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never eaten it, but my high school history teacher said he'd eaten horse steak when he was stationed in Korea during the Vietnam War. He said it was pretty much like beef before corn-fed cattle became common--leaner and tougher--but it didn't taste all that much different.

BTW, they're allowing the plants to process the horse meat for export, not for human consumption in the US. As noted, it was desperately needed to maintain the health of the wild mustang herds--they weren't allowed to kill them, and nobody wanted to buy them, so they had no way of thinning the herds. (BTW, there is actually a place in Oklahoma, near Davis, IIRC, where you can buy mustangs from the BLM; Craig Cameron bought and saddle broke one on his TV show.)

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like Kangaroo, it is good stuff. Wish we could get more of it here. I have no problem eating horse. Sure, most people will say nay, but I think they should get off their high horses and saddle up to that trough. Hell, I might even pony up some dough to pay for good meal. At least a quarter of it. I'm chomping at the bit for it honestly, I have my ears glued to the news waiting to hear when I can get some....

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like Kangaroo, it is good stuff. Wish we could get more of it here. I have no problem eating horse. Sure, most people will say nay, but I think they should get off their high horses and saddle up to that trough. Hell, I might even pony up some dough to pay for good meal. At least a quarter of it. I'm chomping at the bit for it honestly, I have my ears glued to the news waiting to hear when I can get some....

Funniest @#$% post I've read on OSA in awhile!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I hereby award you ONE MILLION interwebz pointz!

static5.businessinsider.com_image_507c159369bedd0102000000_364_273_dr_evil_1_million_dollars.jpg

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That we have slaughter houses that process horses for dog food is no big deal to me.
But I've seen thirty horses crammed on a two ton truck going God knows where. I eat meat. I hunt. I raise cattle, but I'm against any cruelty beyond what's necessary.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, the most memorable passage in All Quiet on the Western Front was when the guy scrounged some horse meat.Those guys were hungry in the trenches. The horse was probably blowed-up two days ago under less than ideal conditions. Those krauts ate him any way and were glad to have him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom