How old do you think you’ll live to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Society is dictating what the doctor is allowed to do. Exceed that "guideline" by one stinking pill, and they can get jailed and lose their livelihood FOR ONE STINKING PILL!
Not true. First of all it’s not a pill. Pain control regimen can be a combination of oral meds and a fentanyl patch or a continuous infusion of opioids, etc. There is no specific dosage that will dictate what the doc can prescribe as different patients require different drugs/dosage to reach the therapeutic effect. A 240lb guy generally needs more pain meds than a 90lb woman would need. So if that “guideline” is 10mg morphine, that dose might kill the tiny woman, but not be enough for the large man. So, any specific dosage number limit is illogical.

I think the argument here is about euthanasia.

I’m guessing your point is docs can’t prescribe enough pain meds to overdose a hospice patient & cause death, but we put animals out of their suffering that way. And sometimes euthanasia for hospice patients is the only way to prevent needless suffering. But that’s illegal, in OK anyway.

My point is that you can achieve adequate pain control on hospice without overdosing & causing death with the current meds & best practices that are available today. So, society is not preventing docs from relieving pain by some unknown guideline. The tools are there, but the doc has to know how to use them. Apparently. some docs dont & people suffer needlessly. But that’s on the doc, not society

Last edited:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Found some OK opioid prescription laws online. They do put limits on how opioids are prescribed, but in the “excluded” section Hospice is excluded from the laws, among others. And since we are talking about hospice end of life pain control, these strict opioid laws don’t apply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom