I Reported a Company safety issue to DOT and am now on Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerk at all but had this safety issue been brought up to someone at your work before? Was it a well known safety issue?

Yeah, i was wondering that as well. The OP did not mention it in the posts that I've read. I can see turning the company in for a safety problem that they were aware of yet chose to ignore. I can't see turning them in for one that wasn't brought to their attention though.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you read the whole thread? He will be black balled
Its not so much about the job as it is the principle..doing the right thing...to maybe save someone elses a$$
I had a similar sitation where OSHA was called, I was the foreman, my responsibility, safety harness's were out of date.
the comp had been notified, ...said were not buying new ones....use them or leave..
After they found them cut in half in the dumpster, well they bought new ones .
Short time later I was outed...nobody knew I cut the harness's.
Jobs come and go..Im not risking my friends /coworkers lives on faulty safety eq..

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the whole thread. Did you read my entire post? I was asking if he first informed management of the safety issue so they could address it and fix it, or did he just decide to call DOT instead and get his company in trouble.

That is a fair question to ask.

Safety issues can pop up anytime everyday of the week. If the company/management chooses to ignore them, then they deserve to get in trouble. However, they at least should be given the opportunity to fix them.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread needs more detail. The truck driver makes the final say on what's safe or not. If the company tells the driver to drive the truck and its.not up to DOT regs and the driver drives it, its his responsibility to make sure its right or not operate it. So did you tell on yourself or what???

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a hours-of-service issue. One I had complained about many times.
There is plenty of other truck work out there, but OTR is no-go until 16yr-old is out of HS. I got out of trucking from 12/2008 til Aug this year. The current standard for CDL experience is 6-12 mo in the last 3 years. Any experience before that is not counted for initial qualification. That puts me at a serious disadvantage, as if I'm a rookie all over again.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is crossroads? There are truck driver jobs all over western oklahoma that are day shift or night shift. They are bringing in guys from Las Vegas and South Texas to drive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom