If the shtf would you share?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not there are a BUNCH of OSA members who live over here in my neighborhood, many of them I swap favors with now. I would be more than glad to work with each of them. Folks I don't know, I'd be a little less gracious with ... especially if all they showed up with was their hand out and an attitude ...
what if they didnt show up with an attitude, just a couple of hungry kids and maybe they did a little something and you gave them a satchel of food and they moved on, then like the article says, they remember your kindness when they are starving and they gather a mob of other starvings and bring them armed and to your door? <--thats the kind of stuff that makes me go hmmmm.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what if they didnt show up with an attitude, just a couple of hungry kids and maybe they did a little something and you gave them a satchel of food and they moved on, then like the article says, they remember your kindness when they are starving and they gather a mob of other starvings and bring them armed and to your door? <--thats the kind of stuff that makes me go hmmmm.

Ohhh, there will be no charity for charity's sake ... You want something from me, you better have something substantial to give in return. (And I would not be above telling folks I don't have anything and they need to move on ...)

And as for folks returning, well, and this is gonna sound a bit snotty, but I have a bit of an edge when it comes to that kind of stuff. With GC being a JBT, folks around here tend to be a little more careful about showing their asses ... While I'm sure there are some who will if the S ever HTF, between his "perceived power" (I dunno why people believe that all JBTs have a dozen JBTs in their house just waiting to shoot their dogs and violate their constitutional rights but that's how they act ... LOL) and my "take no prisoners" attitude, not to mention the fact that I will have several neighbors who will have my back, I think we will be okay ...

And if we are not ... well, I've lived a good life ... And I hope the bastards I take with me before I go can say the same thing ... :naughty:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would. My belief system and my personal code requires that of me. But, everyone involved would understand that my generosity would necessarily be quite limited. I save and prepare so I can feed my family and share with others (as possible) later.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on not sharing much; I figure everyone has access to the same indications of impending doom that I do, but for whatever reason they choose not to prepare. Why should they get to expect stuff from me because I did prepare?

But when the neighbor brings his kids to the door, I really don't know what I'll do. I'm not very well prepared anyway.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With 6 kids, I don't plan on sharing with strangers, and to be honest what I have won't be enough for us and the handful of really close friends who don't prepare for anything, but who I wouldn't turn away. (talking about people who are closer to us than most of my family, and they would show up with guns, not much ammo, and some other assets)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a difference in letting folks mooch off of you and working together with folks who maybe prepared less than you have but who are willing and able to contribute in some meaningful way.

I firmly believe that if things go sideways that neighbors will necessarily migrate to each other for several reasons, the most important of which is proximity and a certain level of comfort. These folks know you better than you think they do and the opposite could also be said. I know my neighbors better than I know my own family in many ways.

Now, whether there are roaming herds of beggars or not depends I suppose on if you buy into the notion that we will just wake one day and the whole world will be upside down or not. I, personally, see the problem as a continuing slow decline. I have more neighbors with vegetable gardens and chickens in their backyards this last summer than ever before. That is a good thing, but more importantly, it is a sign, to me anyway, that I'm not the only one in this area who's concerned about where things are headed.

Besides, prepping has become a mainstream hobby of sorts ... I think maybe there are more folks out there paying attention than it seems on the surface ... At least I hope ... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom