Martin's dad to speak to congress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't followed this as closely as most of you. I think it is a media rating frenzy designed to get ratings.

Here's what I believe: there is, indeed, a crises in the population of young Black men. They are routinely stereotyped and some, in a search for identity, embrace a negative stereotype because they see that as a way to gain respect. I agree with Obama that something should be done to save these kids from self-destructive behavior and to help them gain the skills, both technical and psychological, to break out of cycles of poverty and despair.

I think racism from any side should be called out. Doesn't matter if it's a White person saying "******," or a Black person saying, "cracker." We have to try to move to a point like Dr. King stated so long ago, wherein character is more important than skin color.

The only "ism" that we should embrace is Americanism, wherein ALL Americans, no matter their color or creed, strive to make our great land the strongest, safest, happiest, most productive nation on God's good earth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you point them out? It seems pretty spot on to me.

Its an overall statement calling out dates when this happened.
Its not all true. It may be in some localized areas, and not true in others.

Its like calling all white people crackers. Thats not true.

Do the history. I stand by my statement.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only "ism" that we should embrace is Americanism, wherein ALL Americans, no matter their color or creed, strive to make our great land the strongest, safest, happiest, most productive nation on God's good earth.

Finally something I hope we can all agree on. I don't even care for the hyphenated descriptions.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will say this: Nothing that I've read in this thread or any other thread has given me pause to rethink my outlook on the situation. thugz and punk azz kids are still just that and will continue to be treated as such until they decide to break out of the mold and become productive members of society.

Till that happens, they get the profile they deserve.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't followed this as closely as most of you. I think it is a media rating frenzy designed to get ratings.

Here's what I believe: there is, indeed, a crises in the population of young Black men. They are routinely stereotyped and some, in a search for identity, embrace a negative stereotype because they see that as a way to gain respect. I agree with Obama that something should be done to save these kids from self-destructive behavior and to help them gain the skills, both technical and psychological, to break out of cycles of poverty and despair.

I think racism from any side should be called out. Doesn't matter if it's a White person saying "******," or a Black person saying, "cracker." We have to try to move to a point like Dr. King stated so long ago, wherein character is more important than skin color.

static.giantbomb.com_uploads_original_8_88439_1390889_nail_on_the_head.jpg

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its an overall statement calling out dates when this happened.
Its not all true. It may be in some localized areas, and not true in others.

Its like calling all white people crackers. Thats not true.

Do the history. I stand by my statement.

Dennis,

The dates may be off by a few years, but really how can you argue with what he has posted?

Slavery ended after the Civil War? Yep.

Thereafter 14th and 15th Amendments were passed? Yep.

"Separate but Equal" policies enacted? Yep.

Armed forces integrated? Yep. My Grampa told me stories about some of the discrimination he saw against Black soldiers during WW 2. It really bothered him, and he was a definite Barry Goldwater Republican.

School integration and Voting Rights Act? Yep. That's about the approximate time frame.

"It's like calling all White people crackers." WTF??? Where the Hell did that come from and what does it have to do with anything? And how the heck did you get that? And what does it mean? This is the most bizarre comment I have ever seen you post.

United Negro College Fund? Don't know anything about it, so I'll look into that.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say this: Nothing that I've read in this thread or any other thread has given me pause to rethink my outlook on the situation. thugz and punk azz kids are still just that and will continue to be treated as such until they decide to break out of the mold and become productive members of society.

Till that happens, they get the profile they deserve.

But there just as many White kids enamored with the "gangsta" culture as Black kids. Hell, go to any quick trip, you'll see Eminem wanna bes left and right.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I agree. I grew up where all kids in the community went to the same schools, we ate at the same lunch rooms, we drank from the same fountains. It probably helped that the major employer in our community was the 10th largest refinery in the world in its day, so diversity was the norm, not the execption.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand the anger on all sides and it sickens me that there are those who are using this terrible situation for political gain and personal profit. Gotta wonder why the "powers-that-be" keep us at each others throats and try to sedate us with football, reality TV, fast food and a general dumbing down of our daily lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom