Mauser or Mosin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...so the obvious answer is BOTH, but I'm looking for opinions and experienced voices for figuring out which rifle to buy first.

First off, I've shot a Mosin a few times and liked it quite a bit, but the bolt-action was pretty stiff and clumsy. I've heard really good things about Mauser actions, and would love to shoot/own one someday.

I plan to use this rifle as a fun shooter and something with a little more power and range than my 5.56. I don't hunt, but I like target shooting. I also don't plan on burning through 1,000's of rounds of ammo each month. This will be a hobby gun, a recreational firearm, BUT something I don't want to hang in a glass case. I want to feel ok about taking it out and using it. Therefore, I'm not looking for matching serial #, mint condition K98. I'm looking for a solid gun that I can have fun shooting.

Any advice?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the first gun I would recommend a Mosin or Springfield 1903 (basically a Mauser) - they are plentiful and ammo is easy to find - your spending ability would be a deciding factor ($150 vs $700). And if it's not your cup of tea you will not loose any money selling it off.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look at ammo availability. 7.62x54r is super easy to find and cheap to boot.
True, but I'm also considering reloading if I get a Mauser, mostly because I don't intend to blow through a ton of ammo and will re-use brass. That 7.62x54r ammo is crazy cheap right now, though!

I've seen Mosins around $140-175 right now and M48 Mausers for about $250, so the price difference isn't THAT big.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a Swiss K31! If you are going to get a Mosin, spend more and get a Finnish Mosin. There is NO comparison between the Finnish and Russian versions. If you want a fairly inexpensive Mauser, get on GB and get a 24/47 with minimal wear. They are a pretty good buy and highly available.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a Swiss K31! If you are going to get a Mosin, spend more and get a Finnish Mosin. There is NO comparison between the Finnish and Russian versions. If you want a fairly inexpensive Mauser, get on GB and get a 24/47 with minimal wear. They are a pretty good buy and highly available.
GB has a bunch of M48's for $240-275 right now. Seems like a good deal depending on the condition.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the most everyone is recommending the Mosin. I tend to agree particularly with the Bsmith918 on the Finnish Mosin. When the Finns reworked the Mosins they really made them nice.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with a mosin if you just want a cheap gun to go play with. I have never handled a mauser but I will agree with bsmith918 that you might look at the K31 too.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the most everyone is recommending the Mosin. I tend to agree particularly with the Bsmith918 on the Finnish Mosin. When the Finns reworked the Mosins they really made them nice.
A quick search shows the Finnish Mosins going for $400+ right now. Most of them are in the $500-800 range and up from what I can tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom