Mauser or Mosin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on the Enfield versus the other two?
Specifically the M4 model?

I know its .303 and harder to find ammo but it has one of the fastest bolt action times and is accurate.
Most of all it feeds from a removable magazine.
Is $400 too much for a good Enfield?

Most prices I've seen from gunshows to online is about that area. I'd consider $450 to be the limit, but that's me. I'd like to see where they can be had for $250.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SSP had a couple last week.
One was around 300 but it wasn't that nice and it wasn't a M4.
The other was a nice M4 model and it was $400.
The detachable magazines is a desirable feature in my mind that makes up for the .303 caliber.

homebrewer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first rifle was a m38 Mosin. Maybe a .22lr would have been a better choice, but at the time I got it, 7.62x54r was like 35 or 40 dollars for a tin of 440, so I had to go that way.

The Mauser is the better rifle, but the ammo costs a whole lot more.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its .303 and harder to find ammo but it has one of the fastest bolt action times and is accurate.
?

Possibly the least accurate military firearm of the 20th century, second only to third-world-country's AK47s. Don't get me wrong, SMLE can be made accurate - but so can a shovel. Combine miserable accuracy with no-doubt worst bolt action design (rear locking lug with open semi-open bridge - really? really!) - and you get a rifle that you have to LOVE due to incredible success in all major war theaters of 20th century!

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel more nostalgic and am more attracted to the build style and feel of the Mauser. However, I tend to shoot the Mosin more due to cost and personally not liking the iron sights on the K98.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A completely stock, no aftermarket barrel, no CMP selected barrel, 1903 will not out shoot a comparable M96 Swedish Mauser. Never seen it yet. Now that said many of the 1903 shooters load up on the aftermarket stuff and improve their chances. If one wants to go that route I'll put my CG 80 Swedish Mauser up whatever tricks you want to put on the old and tired 1903s people are dropping thousands on. :clap3::comfort:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A completely stock, no aftermarket barrel, no CMP selected barrel, 1903 will not out shoot a comparable M96 Swedish Mauser.

Sorry you are wrong. 1903 with war time barrel will shoot door-to-door with M96, consider better and easier adjustable sights and on average 1903 is a winner. You start tweaking either one - and a mauser does what a mauser does.

P.S. The best I've seen shot with M96 in MBABR match was 10-8x (by me LOL). The best with 1903a3 was done by Jeff A. with 100-10x - first and only time done so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom