Mayor supports plan to limit marijuana arrests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know if this is credible or not. I can't dispute it though.
If your saying the war on drugs isnt a huge finacial drain on the tax payers then I question your credibility. Check

Not what I said at all.

I agree it's a huge drain.

What I said was that it was interesting that the very people that are roundly criticized here as know-nothing east coast libs are all of a sudden credible when they agree with you.

Nothing more.

Michael Brown

C

Clay

Not what I said at all.

I agree it's a huge drain.

What I said was that it was interesting that the very people that are roundly criticized here as know-nothing east coast libs are all of a sudden credible when they agree with you.

Nothing more.

Michael Brown
I try to be different than the typical person of this day and age. I keep an open mind to the left and the right.
I dont like or dislike one side or the other because they are liberal or conservative but because of their actions. If Obama was a conservative and still performed the same I would still dislike him...for his actions.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael, did you actually look up the background of that Harvard economist to see if he is what you would call a "liberal?" If so, why should anyone care what his political ideology is if his study is sound?

Or did someone here previously say that some study was unsound because of the personal political views of its author?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael, did you actually look up the background of that Harvard economist to see if he is what you would call a "liberal?" If so, why should anyone care what his political ideology is if his study is sound?

Or did someone here previously say that some study was unsound because of the personal political views of its author?

What I'm referring to is the propensity of members of this board to deride anyone whose academic inclinations led them to an Ivy League degree as someone who knows nothing of the real world.

Michael Brown

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most folks I talk to who favor drug laws tell me that the laws are needed to prevent what users might do while high. Never mind that there is already a laws against those things we are worried they might do. He might commit a robbery because he's on drugs. Robbery is already illegal.
If you want to sit in your living room and get high its none of my business. If after getting high you leave your home and commit a crime against others then you should be removed from society.

The same argument is used to point out the need to ban guns. What someone might do.

Michael

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most folks I talk to who favor drug laws tell me that the laws are needed to prevent what users might do while high. Never mind that there is already a laws against those things we are worried they might do. He might commit a robbery because he's on drugs. Robbery is already illegal.
If you want to sit in your living room and get high its none of my business. If after getting high you leave your home and commit a crime against others then you should be removed from society.

The same argument is used to point out the need to ban guns. What someone might do.

Michael

Most anti-pot arguments are interchangeable with anti-gun arguments.

Only criminals need pot/guns.
Guns/pot kills.
More people will end up dead on the streets if we legalize open carry/pot.

Uneducated arguments aren't anything new, but what surprises me are the people here who strongly believe in personal rights, responsibility, and accountability when it comes to owning firearms, yet still want the book thrown at those who choose to smoke a joint in their own home.

Luckily, it seems that even in our Conservative red state, most people favor some sort of decriminalization/legalization. Whether you condone marijuana use or not, you have to agree that the War on Drugs, especially concerning marijuana, has slipped way beyond being a lost battle. It's a financial black hole, it's a racist, anti-American law, and the only people benefiting from it is Big Pharma and the Feds with their ruthless asset forfeiture.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never smoked it, never associated with people who smoke it, and I never plan on trying it.

But it's a damned leaf. It's a leaf that some people smoke to feel good.

I fail to see how this is of government's concern.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see how this is of government's concern.

Can't have people growing their own meds. That's outrageous! Leave that to the professionals. Remember, every manufactured drug that has been recalled was once considered safe by the government despite evidence to the contrary. However, amateurs are free to grow their own "cancer sticks".

Violent offenders adversely affect the private prison industry's bottom line. Non-violent offenders (like marijuana users, who make up a rather large portion of those imprisoned in the U.S.) positively affect the private prison industry's bottom line. Keeping that bottom line well into the black keeps the legislators' campaign coffers and personal coffers (via campaign loans for "speaking fees" and other non-tangible expenses for services the candidate personally provides to the campaign, for example) in the black.

Latest posts

Top Bottom