McCroskey knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Dave I remember a fateful day sitting in the waiting room at the hospital next to Kat and the doctor came in and ask Kat what they should do with you. It was a difficult decision to make. Kat looked at me and I knew they we had to roll the dice 1 more time. Luckily we threw a good hand and you are STIll with us.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 5 or 6 McCroskey's , I lost count. I've known Dave for 25 years or more and he is an awesome friend and a helluva knifemaker. My two favorites are the Eagle Scout version he made for my son and the custom one of a kind profile he made specially for me. He loved it so much he vowed to never make another one of that profile HAHAHA! Anyway, for those who don't know about the knives, I regularly field dress, skin and bone about three deer before it won't SHAVE and I have to go down the block and have him resharpen it. And for those who don't know Dave and Kathy (and Robert), Dave would literally give you the shirt off of his back.

I'll try and take pictures of my knives in a day or two and post them here.

Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0064.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need Dave to come out with a 9" fillet knife for fish.
I'd be in the market for one of these. :D

I'm suspecting that Dave's steel is too brittle for a fillet knife though.

I don't want to hear about electric knives either for fish. They suck and waste flesh.

(for me anyway. My buddy is the electric knife king) (I act stupid around the EK, he takes over) I love it when a plan comes together. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too brittle I'm sure. I'm not a high speed skinner, fillet'er, and can shave with my blades before starting work, so the danger factor wouldn't apply to me.
My knife from him Rockwell'd at 64. Picked it out for that very reason. Any side deviation that brittle, would likely result in a broken blade. I can't get them as sharp as Dave, but can get in the lower ballpark. I still have my grandfathers barber hone and leather strop. (it hurt a lot when applied to my back side as a kid) :D
His blades are incredibly sharp.
Way better than anything I can do.

Dave, check in, and let us know your thoughts. :D

Tha edge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been making a few fillet knives in the last 14 months. Five inchers will flex 30* and Rc 64.4- 64.8. Cork only made the shorter ones in the last batch. Longer ones were used in Alaska in the summer of 2010 on salmon, halibut, etc. I don't get excited over them as much as the elk and trappers. When a hunter NEEDS a sharp knife and they are where you cannot even get to them by helicopter, then ours are required. The difference is NEED versus WANT. Totals showed that knives made in September were 94% elk or trappers. Those of you that have and use the elk and/or trappers know what I'm saying. AND it does take a while to get used to using our knives.
dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom