• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Mean tough cats!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Forget cats. Find a couple of rat terriers, they will tear the place down to get a rat or mouse. Far, far better than any cat. Unlike cats they also make good companions.

My Rat terriers humiliated many a "good" farm cat in their day. They will go into stack of hay and bring out dead rats and mice. Whatever it takes, they get their nose on it, they will go after it.
How are they on groundhogs? I might need to get one... :rollingla

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Park your trucks and equipment over a pan of mothballs till you get your rodent problem controlled. We keep a pan with a good seal on it in our offroad buggy too for Colorado, we stop for any amount of time, it gets slid under the truck. I keep it under all my ****, under all my enclosed trailers too. I have seen guys rigs get ate up by rodents, marmots and such!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Forget cats. Find a couple of rat terriers, they will tear the place down to get a rat or mouse. Far, far better than any cat. Unlike cats they also make good companions.

My Rat terriers humiliated many a "good" farm cat in their day. They will go into stack of hay and bring out dead rats and mice. Whatever it takes, they get their nose on it, they will go after it.

That's what I'd do. Or Jack Russells. Great companions and they raise hell with mice and rats.

Mothballs? I've loaded the engine compartment of my truck with them and tried all the other so-called solutions. I swear the pack rats and mice eat mothballs for lunch. Never worked for me.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I had a real problem with pack rats and mice getting into my tractors, jeeps and autos if parked too long. Tried everything under the sun, having surfed the net for ideas . Moth balls, Ha ! I put moth balls in socks. Put the socks in dashboards and under the hood. The darn critters made nests in the socks !! The best success I came up with is “ Icey Hot “ . Yep, Icey Hot works great. Can get in in roll-on, cream, or what I use mostly is the spray on . I spray my wires and hoses , under hood and up inside my dashboards. Spray everything. Spray wheels, an access point to climb up onto rig. 100% success thus far. I’m a strange dude buying 4-6 cans of the stuff at a time at Wally World. 🥶. Good luck 👍

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need some mean unwated cats that can hold their own on a farm. If you have any let me know. Mice are tearing up our trucks and equipment all while laughing at the poison we set out.
We had a tom cat that, that was the Bad Leroy Brown around here. he not only took care of mice, and rats, but kept the snakes, and stray dogs run off! You would hardly ever see him in the summer, but in winter he woul den up in the hay barn, and if anyone got too close he would GROWL to warn you to stay back! I caught my son and some other boys throughing fighting roosters into a stall with this cat, they didn't last long! I suspect he spread his genes far and wide, but he finelly quit showing up, must have died of old age? my kind of cat!

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ‘Malleus Maleficarum’ identifies cats as the familiars of witches. I recommend that one should exercise extreme caution in their presence. Also, cats will steal a baby’s breath; so, do not allow cats near small children! Personally, I would rather see every cat on earth exterminated than to offend the sensibilities of even the most scrofulous dog.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
I had a real problem with pack rats and mice getting into my tractors, jeeps and autos if parked too long. Tried everything under the sun, having surfed the net for ideas . Moth balls, Ha ! I put moth balls in socks. Put the socks in dashboards and under the hood. The darn critters made nests in the socks !! The best success I came up with is “ Icey Hot “ . Yep, Icey Hot works great. Can get in in roll-on, cream, or what I use mostly is the spray on . I spray my wires and hoses , under hood and up inside my dashboards. Spray everything. Spray wheels, an access point to climb up onto rig. 100% success thus far. I’m a strange dude buying 4-6 cans of the stuff at a time at Wally World. 🥶. Good luck 👍
Thanks for the icy hot suggestion. I had a problem with pack rats and a brand new truck at work. After laying over the motor splicing in all the connectors to the fuel rails back in, I tried moth balls and poison around the front wheels. I only slowed the sucker down a little bit.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a cinnamon and pepper flavored garden spray on my plants and flowers to keep rabbits and squirrels from eating stuff and it works great on mice and rats and other critters as well coon and possums don't come around either. About $10.00 a can at TLC

Latest posts

Top Bottom