mishap at the reloading table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL.. As soon as OGE comes out to mark electrical lines, I'm going to drive a new ground, see if it helps.

Not sure if static could set them off. I think this was more a combination of a primer pocket just a little too tight and a primer just a little too large.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW... brother - first off - glad you're ok... I've had primers go off on rare occasions gettin' sideways in the seating station... which will get your attention - but that's scary... I'm glad you mentioned "safety glasses"... Lesson to those that don't wear them.... We spend so much time worrying about powder management, double charges and then ka-booms from our guns - it's easy to forget they can happen at the press... I'd be curious to see a pic of whats left of the reload...

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, glad you weren't more hurt. Are those burns on your skin? Did specs of powder blast their way into you? Very odd that the primer is flat, could it have been crushed somehow from the underside at this station?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW... brother - first off - glad you're ok... I've had primers go off on rare occasions gettin' sideways in the seating station... which will get your attention - but that's scary... I'm glad you mentioned "safety glasses"... Lesson to those that don't wear them.... We spend so much time worrying about powder management, double charges and then ka-booms from our guns - it's easy to forget they can happen at the press... I'd be curious to see a pic of whats left of the reload...
The ripped casing is in first pic.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I seeing things or is the bullet lodged in the decapping die? The reason for getting blasted with the powder and brass debris is because that was the path of least resistance. When a round is properly chamber the path of least resistance is USUALLY the bullet leaving the case and going down the barrel. I have a feeling you tried to seat that bullet with your decapping die and something set off the primer.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you are OK!
It is a mystery though.
Have you looked at the primer base.?
Maybe walnut or corn cob media in the primer hole..
This will leave you scratching your head until you find the cause.

I have only had one primer ever go off..That was with the lee wack-a-mole loader Lee classic loader.
I was using the federal 210M for the first time and the last time in that type of loader.

I usually use the CCI 200 or the CCI #34
The 34 is one tough cased primer..I use the 200 in my 45acp shot shells i have been shooting and making.
I decided to try the #34 and i found the 45acp pistol i have will not set that primer off..I tried 2 times and have 2 very small dinks in the primer and no ignition.
In a 30-30 with a tubular magazine i will not use the 210M, it may be safe.. but to me those are easiest of all primers to set off. Maybe other federal primers are the same ..i do not know.
Just food for thought, as i bet you have a lot of thoughts at this time.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Am I seeing things or is the bullet lodged in the decapping die? The reason for getting blasted with the powder and brass debris is because that was the path of least resistance. When a round is properly chamber the path of least resistance is USUALLY the bullet leaving the case and going down the barrel. I have a feeling you tried to seat that bullet with your decapping die and something set off the primer.

The case went off in the down position, I had the press in auto-index mode, which is why the bullet is lodged in the decapping die. The turret had rotated into the decapping position in preperation for the next round. I'm starting to think that there was JUST enough pressure on the primer that all it took was a perhaps a strong down stroke, landing on the primer seating arm as I was preparing to remove the finished round and start the next. It was strictly luck that I was fumbling with the next piece of brass and not reaching to remove this round when it went off. normally, I am pulling the finished round and placing the next piece of brass in. I could have really damaged my hand badly.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this press all automatic..Or do you pull the handle ?
Do you pull the handle quick or slow and steady?
Could the primer seater have some small shavings of brass wedged in it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom