mishap at the reloading table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wolf SR primers are soft and have an all copper cup ( that is what i found when researching )..probably not the best primer for this application.
I want to say it was stated not to use federal primers on some presses also as they are soft.
Stepping up to the magnum primers usually gets you a stronger cup.
You may want to research it.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow glad you are ok, & just think I was going to teach my 16 yr old how to reload. I have only used a dillion & a single stage & a hand primer with rifles except 223, have had a few go in sideways & crush but never go off. Just wow

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad injuries were not serious. If one can be lucky given this happened, you were. I will stick with my slow & prodding single stage RCBS reloading press. I have not worn safety glasses reloading but I will from now on!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wolf SR primers are soft and have an all copper cup ( that is what i found when researching )..probably not the best primer for this application.
I want to say it was stated not to use federal primers on some presses also as they are soft.

This. I can't believe it is the press. This was similar to a hangfire in a rifle. That will make you nervous.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

On Lee 1000 presses, users are told to not use Federal primers.

I just use Winchester, CCI, and recently Tula, which are supposed to be on the hard side.

Never had a round go off in the kazillions of rounds I've loaded,

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Lee say to not use Federal primers because of their primer feeds not flipping them as well as other brands. Dillon has warnings about primers with the primer filling machine they sell. Putting one in upside down is the concern there.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you say bad words when that thing popped?

Stand back and take inventory of body parts, then checked your shorts?

Gonna be hard to get back on that horse!

Glad you didnt get hurt worse.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did you say bad words when that thing popped?
I was stunned to say the least. my skin stung, my left eye hurt, my left ear was ringing and yes, bad words came forth. . . en masse

Stand back and take inventory of body parts, then checked your shorts?
I counted ten fingers, took a deep breath and went in to wash the blood off.

Gonna be hard to get back on that horse!
Naw, I've already loaded a few hundred 45 ACP rounds. the first few were a little nerve wracking, admittedly.

Glad you didnt get hurt worse.
Thank you.

And thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom