Morels 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what if a person is out turkey hunting on wma land, is unsuccessful at that on the particular particular day & this person starts walking back to the vehicle & spots a crop of morels. Is it wrong for this person to stop & pick the up for supper?
It is against the law.

Many LEO have some leniency on some misdemeanors. I have been stopped for speeding and told to slow down, given a warning, a ticket and many other times not even stopped.

Is a momma deer gonna starve and abort her fetus if you take a dozen morels from the woods? No

I understand Wildlife Conservation and appreciate efforts to make sure the resource is around for future generations to enjoy.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today's haul. I found out one thing interesting. The one I left behind on Tuesday to see what would happen basically didn't change. It didn't grow at all. Still looked good although it was starting to get a little brown on the edges. I figured it would either be bigger or withered away to nothing.

4_21_22.jpg

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What tips do you all have for finding them?
As dry as it is, you're going to have to find some river bottom land where the soil is still moist. You need to be able to cover some ground. I never found more that four at a time in a 20' circle. Most seem to be able to find them in clusters, but not my experience. I found almost all mine on a slope just above where there would be standing water after a good rain or two. They seem to like moist ground but well drained.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should answer any questions anyone has. This is how the state looks at it.
https://lawrina.com/us-law/state/ok...0/chapter-30/subchapter-1/section-800-30-1-9/
^this is accurate. My grandma made me pull over in a state park when she saw some ripe prickly pear cactus. She wanted to make jam. I pulled over and we filled a couple wal-Mart sacks full. Park ranger came by and told her she couldn’t take them because they were a state resource. She asked him if he was going to pick them and make jam. He said no and she told him that was the dumbest thing ever. She told him to give her a ticket and kept picking. He was a nice guy and just drove off.

I think the rules are there so people don’t take advantage and pillage the land. I get it. But sometimes it sure is funny.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^this is accurate. My grandma made me pull over in a state park when she saw some ripe prickly pear cactus. She wanted to make jam. I pulled over and we filled a couple wal-Mart sacks full. Park ranger came by and told her she couldn’t take them because they were a state resource. She asked him if he was going to pick them and make jam. He said no and she told him that was the dumbest thing ever. She told him to give her a ticket and kept picking. He was a nice guy and just drove off.

I think the rules are there so people don’t take advantage and pillage the land. I get it. But sometimes it sure is funny.

What is frustrating about these types of laws is that it basically means you have to own your own land to live off the land. If you're not a member of the land-owner class, and let's be real most people will never own their own piece of land, you're stuck having to rely on the food production industry for a basic life need. Some towns have restrictions on owning chickens, there are licenses and fees out the wazoo for fishing public waters, you can't harvest edible plants from public lands, and hunting public land might as well be a book of where's waldo when it comes to finding deer or turkey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom