Morels 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell you what I’ll do. If we can work out the logistics the next time I’m up there, I’ll bring you a gallon ziplock bag of frozen morels from last years crop. It’s not looking like I’m going to have any this year. I know for a fact these are still good, because I thawed/rehydrated and cooked some the last time I was up. Will that work for you?
Hell of an offer right there.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And just how would anyone know if any mushrooms were harvested in there. What's the harm.
Don't ask don't tell situation here.
WMA land is wildlife management land. Turkey season and morel "season" (referring to the time they are likely to be found) overlap. As you will see below that Hunting is first priority. The rule to prohibit the harvest of morels from WMA land is about Safety. As morel popularity and the number of people that seek morels grows it is a good rule. It helps to minimize the number of people in the woods while people are hunting turkey. It reduces extra intrusion in the wildlife habitat that has been set aside for hunting and fishing activities.

Quoted from the ODWC regulations.

"The primary objective on all lands owned or managed by the Department is the sound management and use of fish and wildlife resources resident thereon. Public use of Department-managed lands is permitted according to the following priorities:
1. Hunting, fishing, trapping, running dogs for sport and associated activities.
2. Other wildlife-oriented activities (nature observation or photography,
and conservation education).

3. Non-wildlife related activities, when such activities do not conflict with the wildlife management objective (picnicking, hiking, backpacking, short-term camping, horseback riding).

4. Large group activities (military training, organized trail rides)."

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WMA land is wildlife management land. Turkey season and morel "season" (referring to the time they are likely to be found) overlap. As you will see below that Hunting is first priority. The rule to prohibit the harvest of morels from WMA land is about Safety. As morel popularity and the number of people that seek morels grows it is a good rule. It helps to minimize the number of people in the woods while people are hunting turkey. It reduces extra intrusion in the wildlife habitat that has been set aside for hunting and fishing activities.

Quoted from the ODWC regulations.

"The primary objective on all lands owned or managed by the Department is the sound management and use of fish and wildlife resources resident thereon. Public use of Department-managed lands is permitted according to the following priorities:
1. Hunting, fishing, trapping, running dogs for sport and associated activities.
2. Other wildlife-oriented activities (nature observation or photography,
and conservation education).

3. Non-wildlife related activities, when such activities do not conflict with the wildlife management objective (picnicking, hiking, backpacking, short-term camping, horseback riding).

4. Large group activities (military training, organized trail rides)."
Now that is a good answer.

I am not the kind of person that goes looking for mushrooms of any kind. In fact, if I'm walking thru anywhere & see a mushroom, I'm more likely to kick it or whack it with a stick.

So what if a person is out turkey hunting on wma land, is unsuccessful at that on the particular particular day & this person starts walking back to the vehicle & spots a crop of morels. Is it wrong for this person to stop & pick the up for supper?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom