My biggest gar to date...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got in from gar fishing a little while ago and caught my biggest gar to date, a 51" long nose gar that beat my wife's biggest gar by one inch! I also managed to catch three gar this evening - in order of appearance - 37", 39" and 51"...

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_More_20Gar_001_zps442dc62d.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_More_20Gar_005_zpsd2d6143c.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_More_20Gar_008_zps6b795b6f.jpg

I never saw the blood from the biggest gar, until the camera flashed...

Since all three gar were fat and healthy, I cleaned all of them and put two in the freezer and the other one is soaking in a light bath of salt water in the refrigerator, and I will cook if for supper tomorrow....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking fish! Your the only one I've heard of that eat em besides me. I don't fish for them, but if I catch one on a jug line, or below kaw dam, I don't throw them back.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice fish, I have never caught one myself. Anything special about landing them? Seems like being long bodied like that they might be good fighters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are excellent fighters.
Just keep your hands away from the mouth. Those teeth leave scars. I have a pic that I can't scan (I don't have a scanner) that shows a 3-4lb gar we caught on a jug line. I held it up for the camera shot, and it came off. The two teeth in the top jaw got me in the forearm. Camera shot showed the teeth about 1/2" away prior to impact.

Not a big deal. Bled a little, and that was it.

D&T is the gar expert on this forum. He may have more insite.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice fish, I have never caught one myself. Anything special about landing them? Seems like being long bodied like that they might be good fighters.

I manage to catch one gar for about every six I miss. These are extremely good fighters. When you get one next to the bank, drop a heavy rag over it's bill to grab it and pick it up. It's the safest way I know of and it saves wear and tear on your hands and fingers from all those teeth. Even with their mouth closed, there are still a LOT of teeth on the outside that WILL tear your hand up if you don't have a heavy rag or glove to grab them with. Don't ask me how I know this...

I used a medium spinning rod with 6/20 Spider Wire and I doubled the last 12" of line to serve as a 40 lb. leader. Even with that, I still lost two really nice fish after a 5 minute long fight, with them making my drag sing like there was no tomorrow. Oh well, there will always be another day, and I'm already looking forward to it....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom