My biggest gar to date...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wearing shorts in the boat when bowfishing for them is not advisable either, doable..........but not advisable. I've got a scar or two. Nice fish D&T!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta fix one more little crack in my boat and then I'll be back to the water, trying to to figure out how to launch and retralier, in addition to trying to figure out how to catch fish that aren't trout LOL. Now I'll make sure I keep a rag or two in the tackle box in case I latch into one of these critters.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like my dad! I don't have a problem with cleaning fish - unless I'm looking at 60+ sand bass after a hard morning of fishing....

DAVID

Currently looks like I might be up that way in February or March for spoonies again. Its probably not the right time of the year for gar, but if I do make it up there, you and the wife are welcome to join in. We can plan a trip for the summer for gar.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently looks like I might be up that way in February or March for spoonies again. Its probably not the right time of the year for gar, but if I do make it up there, you and the wife are welcome to join in. We can plan a trip for the summer for gar.

Thank's for the invite - we look forward to it...

Gar seem to bite the best after the water get's warm and the daytime temperatures start running into the 90's on a regular basis...

There are too many idiots on the water around here on the week-ends but, if you can make down this way during the week before the weather starts cooling down, I will make plans to take off that day and take you gar fishing. I'll even buy you supper after were through fishing for the day. Make it on a Friday and we can get filled up on fresh fried catfish....

DAVID

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank's for the invite - we look forward to it...

Gar seem to bite the best after the water get's warm and the daytime temperatures start running into the 90's on a regular basis...

There are too many idiots on the water around here on the week-ends but, if you can make down this way during the week before the weather starts cooling down, I will make plans to take off that day and take you gar fishing. I'll even buy you supper after were through fishing for the day. Make it on a Friday and we can get filled up on fresh fried catfish....

DAVID
I do thank you for the invite, but September is booked up solid for me.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man I gotta start making time to take my kids fishing. They are finally getting old enough to really enjoy it. Where do y'all go? Most of the fishing from a bank I have done is in ponds, or from the low water dam near Choteau.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - consider it a standing invite then. Anytime you get ready, we'll go....

Mitch Rapp - I fish around on Grand Lake for gar and always fish from the bank. Any place you see gar surfacing, you can catch them. They key here though, is finding the right depth they will strike at. The place I have been fishing at, they have always hit at exactly "7" feet! Vary this by a foot in either direction and you'll come home empty handed. I fished at 7 feet yesterday for 3 hours and never got a strike. I then changed the cork depth to 4 feet and I caught those three in the pictures in about an hours time and lost 2 that I had solid hook-ups on but, even a good 20 lb. braided line was no match for all them teeth...

Sounds like your kids are real young. Make sure you keep a hold on them if they hook into a nice size gar, cause when they make their first run, they can pull a small kid in real quick like - if they don't turn loose of the rod first...

If you live around these parts, I'd gladly take you and your kids on a gar fishing trip. Maybe they would get a chance to see "jaws", a 70+ inch gar I have been trying to catch for the last four years....

DAVID

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to bow fish a lot believe it or not and I've caught, cleaned, cooked and eaten a few gar in the past. I never got bit or anything but I did learn the hard way it's best to wear gloves in cleaning those things, one slip and that armor plating will lay a cut in your hand that will make you swear for weeks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they still have the gar hole down by the dam at Lake Overholser? My kids used to go down there to fish but after that kid drowned down there I'm not sure if they let fish down in there any longer. That, plus the drought kinda dried things up for a while ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom