My biggest gar to date...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gar hole is up and running at overholser.
My son has been fishing it..
My entire family eats gar.. and a few neighbors that i turned onto it.

I like the smaller ones though less than 4 feet..
I usually snag for them or get them in my throw net (on accident)

WHAT DO YOU USE FOR BAIT!
I only ever caught 2 on cut shad. Not fishing for gar at the time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gar hole is up and running at overholser.
My son has been fishing it..
My entire family eats gar.. and a few neighbors that i turned onto it.

I like the smaller ones though less than 4 feet..
I usually snag for them or get them in my throw net (on accident)

WHAT DO YOU USE FOR BAIT!
I only ever caught 2 on cut shad. Not fishing for gar at the time.

Do you ever go? I'd like to give it a try one of these days but I've never been fishing a day in my life ... talk about a noob ... :lookaroun I dunno that I have anything to trade you that you don't already have, except maybe a big plate of cookies and a couple of fresh loaves of bread ... :anyone:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - consider it a standing invite then. Anytime you get ready, we'll go....

Mitch Rapp - I fish around on Grand Lake for gar and always fish from the bank. Any place you see gar surfacing, you can catch them. They key here though, is finding the right depth they will strike at. The place I have been fishing at, they have always hit at exactly "7" feet! Vary this by a foot in either direction and you'll come home empty handed. I fished at 7 feet yesterday for 3 hours and never got a strike. I then changed the cork depth to 4 feet and I caught those three in the pictures in about an hours time and lost 2 that I had solid hook-ups on but, even a good 20 lb. braided line was no match for all them teeth...

Sounds like your kids are real young. Make sure you keep a hold on them if they hook into a nice size gar, cause when they make their first run, they can pull a small kid in real quick like - if they don't turn loose of the rod first...

If you live around these parts, I'd gladly take you and your kids on a gar fishing trip. Maybe they would get a chance to see "jaws", a 70+ inch gar I have been trying to catch for the last four years....

DAVID

Thanks! I Need to find a few places closer to Tulsa to figure out, so that when I take the kids they will not have to endure quite as many dry runs. I know that it's part of fishing, bit I want them to get "hooked" for lack of a better expression, rather than just disappointed. I have fished up near the Keystone dam, and some of the other dams before, but in the last 6-8 years I haven't done much. Hard to run off and leave the wife with 6 kids just so I can go fishing lol. Oldest is 8, next oldest is 7, so yeah, it's time.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made "gar jerky" out of the biggest gar and I'll tell you guys what, that was better than any deer or elk jerky I have ever eaten, and I love jerky! If you guys want me to, next time I make some gar jerky, I'll take pictures of the process I used and see what you think...

Bait? I used large live brooder minnows....

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I fished or bow fished in long pants lol, I have seen gar get a couple people although. I just stayed out of the way, worked for me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not fish the local lakes much at all.
I like the taste of the fish better from webber falls.
and i have better luck fishing there.
Quite a long drive but usually well worth it.
I would like to see the gar jerky ad how it is done..that would be great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom