My biggest gar to date...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay guys, since you talked me into it, I'll make myself go catch another gar one day this week and I'll post pictures of my Gar Jerky Making Recipe and you can let me know what you think....

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ouch - ouch - ouch - okay you guys can stop twisting now...:thumbup3:

My wife has been out of the hospital now for a couple of weeks, after having her second heart surgery, and I'm hoping she'll like going with me. I would really, really, really like her to be the one to catch the 70+ inch gar we have nicknamed "jaws" and it is THE biggest long nose gar I have ever seen. I would go so far as to have that one mounted for her, because with the exception of alligator gar, she will never catch one that size again. I have been fascinated with gar since I was a little kid and to catch a gar like "jaws" would be a once in a lifetime catch....

DAVID

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ouch - ouch - ouch - okay you guys can stop twisting now...:thumbup3:

My wife has been out of the hospital now for a couple of weeks, after having her second heart surgery, and I'm hoping she'll like going with me. I would really, really, really like her to be the one to catch the 70+ inch gar we have nicknamed "jaws" and it is THE biggest long nose gar I have ever seen. I would go so far as to have that one mounted for her, because with the exception of alligator gar, she will never catch one that size again. I have been fascinated with gar since I was a little kid and to catch a gar like "jaws" would be a once in a lifetime catch....

DAVID
That sounds awesome! Hope she going with you again and soon. Goodluck on that 70" gar! Do you get a shoulder...er I mean pectoral fin mount on fish that big?

You will have to send me samples of the jerky so that I can give an honest opinion.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! Hope she going with you again and soon. Goodluck on that 70" gar! Do you get a shoulder...er I mean pectoral fin mount on fish that big?

You will have to send me samples of the jerky so that I can give an honest opinion.

In all honesty, I would do a full body mount. I would hand deliver it to my taxidermist in Mississippi and make a second trip to pick it up....

I was wondering how long it would be, before someone asked for some of my gar jerky. If you were serious, PM me your address and when I get some more made, I'll send you a sampling. What I made the other day, half of it was black pepper/garlic and the other half was with my home made pork, beef and chicken rub on it. I made close to 3 pounds that my wife took to work with her, and between 32 doctors and nurses, it lasted less than 3 hours! Needless to say, I've got standing orders for more gar jerky....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does Gar taste like? What is the consistency of the meat?

The consistency of the meat is close to that of a pork chop and the taste, I honestly don't know what to compare it to. I asked my 17 year old stepson and he said - it tastes like chicken, just a little tougher. Daniel has only eaten it fried and I cook it the same as I do catfish, coated in cornmeal, salt, pepper and creole seasoning. Deep fry till its golden brown...

The jerky I made though, tastes like....... I really don't know what to compare it to either. I'll have to let "Oklahomabassin" be the judge and give you guys a report on it....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cook my gar in zataran crab and shrimp boil and tastes like crab or shrimp.

Now i hope you or your wife gets jaws..
And check it in officially as the needle nose gar state record ain't very big
I got a fat one once at weber falls about 1500 feet down below lock 16 Pegged a guys 50lb scale with a lot of fish still on the ground
I ate it not knowing about records...

Below Eufaulla dam back in the 1990's there were 2 huge ones easily 6 feet long...I hooked one under the mouth on with a crappie jig on accident...all poles were reeled in as i fought that sucker for 20 minutes.

The golden hook bent and it came loose.

I wish you two the best in your quest for "jaws".

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW David! Just got back in town and found this. I see You've been havin fun! Save me a little bite of that gar jerky. Got another trip this week then will be free for a little fishing. I'll call you next week or so.
Frank

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank You swampratt! I sure would like to have seen that 50+ lb. gar or those two 6 ft. gar. I would have been fit to be tied, seeing gar like that....

Hi Mr. Frank - how did your last fishing trip go?

Yeah, I had to get out of the shop for a little bit, and what better fun than catching a couple of gar...

I'll be sure and save you some gar jerky, IF I can get out for a couple of hours in the next day or two and catch a couple more gar and get sot some more made up. I'll let you know how things go....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom