My biggest gar to date...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a revival!!! :sunbath:

I am not a seasoned fisherman by any means, but I caught a 45 inch gar today at the blue river near Tishomingo. About 5 got away before I got this one to shore. Had a buddy to help get it on to shore. We were not prepared to handle a gar by any means...hence the carrying method. We used a hatchet to open it up and get the straps out. Fried one side up 30 mins later in an iron skillet... with some lemon on it...yumm.
photo 20.jpg
photo 21.jpg
photo 22.jpg

Saw some yummy Jerky, what are other good ways to prepare them??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis! Alive...they freak me out! They are tanks... if their mouthes were bigger i'd stop swimming in most Oklahoma water bodies.

We were on Grand Lake one time and saw some that were pretty darned big. Makes one wonder how many folks have been bit.

Edit: can't find anything on Google that anybody has been killed by Gar. I'm sure some have been bit getting them off their line, so I guess its safe to go back into the water. :D

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were on Grand Lake one time and saw some that were pretty darned big. Makes one wonder how many folks have been bit.

Edit: can't find anything on Google that anybody has been killed by Gar. I'm sure some have been bit getting them off their line, so I guess its safe to go back into the water. :D

Every now and then people disappear and were last seen swimming in a lake... I looked at the pictures of current record holder gar ....and damn... those suckers could do serious damage. Humans would be defenseless in the water...we could barely puncture the scales with a knife out of the water!

edit
few get that big, on average they are probably between 40-60 inches long 10-30lbs (sound about right?)..that's a digit amputator. no skinny dipping in lakes or rivers ever again.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like crab and shrimp boiled gar.
Dried the skins once on 3 of them,, dogs ate them before I was able to use them..

What did you catch them on?

I have stood neck deep in the river for hours while fishing below lock 16 and many gar swam right by me.. never bothered me.
Buddy would not enter the water.. fine with me he can sit on the rip rap and fry in the sun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom