My Love for wally world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't been to a wally world in approximately 17 years. And dont see myself shopping at one in the next 17 years.
I shop the mom and pop places as much as possible to help out local businesses.
Wally world has knocked out a lot of small business when the go into a town and that has happened in my area.
I had rather spend a few dollars more for something from a locally owned place than spend a dollar at wally world. But thats just me I guess.

I'm not 17 years in but I'm working on it. I would rather take a beating THAN go in there. I find everything I need at other, smaller stores for the same price or better. No reason to subject myself to the idiocy that is Wal-Mart and it's customer base.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting things about Walmart that I've noticed over the years. Even with a lot saying that Walmart puts "mom and pop" stores out of business, I've noticed that whenever they put in a new store, other stores, including big box stores and small strip centers, go in nearby.

Also, in many places, Walmart is one of the biggest employers around. I can remember a story of one going in just outside of the city limits of Chicago. Chicago politicians were complaining like crazy about how bad Walmart was, but there was something like 4000 or so job applicants for a heck of a lot less open positions. So, while we might complain about Walmart, a lot of people are depending on them staying in business.

Exactly. Everyone likes to attack the big guy but the truth is that without Walmart a whole lot of people would be out of a job. One that pays better than most people know. I worked for Sam's Club for a short time before the legs got to bad and made well above minimum wage and they do offer insurance plus benefits. Not what the unions and Democrats want but a decent wage all the same. A lot better than most mom and pop stores can afford even before Walmart.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll play the counter part. I end up going to Walmart two or three times a month. It's right nest to Lowes here in Moore, and seldom do I not find what I'm looking for. I don't mind the people. I don't mind the employees. I usually use the self checkout and really have not found anything to really complain about. The small stores that claim they have been put out of business, are the ones that didn't find the niche that made them different. There is still plenty of business for those that find a way to meet their customers' requirements, and price isn't the only issue for competition. I'm all for small business, but they have to try.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a different experience at the "mom and pop" stores. Their prices have always been higher with less items to chose from. I do shop at local chains like Reasors but I don't consider them "mom and pop". Years ago I lived in a small town with only small "mom and pop" stores and it was not a good experience, they were overpriced and had a bad attitude as they knew you were stuck or had to travel to get to other stores.

Last edited:

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting things about Walmart that I've noticed over the years. Even with a lot saying that Walmart puts "mom and pop" stores out of business, I've noticed that whenever they put in a new store, other stores, including big box stores and small strip centers, go in nearby.

Also, in many places, Walmart is one of the biggest employers around. I can remember a story of one going in just outside of the city limits of Chicago. Chicago politicians were complaining like crazy about how bad Walmart was, but there was something like 4000 or so job applicants for a heck of a lot less open positions. So, while we might complain about Walmart, a lot of people are depending on them staying in business.

Chicago lost out on Sales Tax and City Earning Tax

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should watch "The high cost of low prices". It's a documentary of how WallyWorld comes into town and runs all of the small guys out of business. In order to avoid paying benefits, they only have one or two "full time" actual employees. In addition, they will take on a new product from a vendor, then if it does well, they will start making it themselves under their house brand and then drop the vendor. And yes, I'm the guy that doesn't mind paying extra to keep the local small guy in business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom