My Love for wally world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a forum where we sing the praises of free enterprise, self reliance, and constitutionally guaranteed rights, we complain about a large company, that uses all or those to create and maintain a successful business.

No "mom & pop" business deserves to stay in business just because they are a small business. If you don't give your customers what they want, someone else will.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a forum where we sing the praises of free enterprise, self reliance, and constitutionally guaranteed rights, we complain about a large company, that uses all or those to create and maintain a successful business.

No "mom & pop" business deserves to stay in business just because they are a small business. If you don't give your customers what they want, someone else will.

Preach it brother!!!!

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should watch "The high cost of low prices". It's a documentary of how WallyWorld comes into town and runs all of the small guys out of business. In order to avoid paying benefits, they only have one or two "full time" actual employees. In addition, they will take on a new product from a vendor, then if it does well, they will start making it themselves under their house brand and then drop the vendor. And yes, I'm the guy that doesn't mind paying extra to keep the local small guy in business.

Sounds like a Michael Moore produced movie...

I hate Wally World as much as anybody, but none of that is true. I worked there 14 years from part time cart pusher up to co manager, I can tell you it is a real chit show.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And 65% of them still need Gov. assistance because WM pays so crappy.
WM has killed 60,000 manufacturing companies in the US. No idea how many jobs that equates to but its at least a few.

They pay on par for jobs offered to skill-less workers. I'd be curious what you feel is a fare wage for an average WM job.

Walmart didn't put manufacturers out of work, unions and an inability to compete did. But that's just my unpopular opinion.

Shockingly, Walmart has a legit manager training program. Any competent employee can develop those managing skills through their program and make big bucks. Like, ridiculous big bucks. Very cushy salary, insane bonuses. No degree required. But, it also requires someone to be career minded, and the real deal killer for 95% of those who skip it is the travel and relocation requirement. It's rare that a WM manager stays at one store more than 5-7 years. They either get pulled up to a larger market, let go or demoted for cause, or move on to a competitor. It's not a quick process, but the time and effort investment pays real dividends.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(Full disclosure: I am a full time associate at a Walmart, in the sporting goods department. I've worked at Walmart for almost four years.)

You should watch "The high cost of low prices(.)"
Why? It's a left wing advocacy piece masquerading as a documentary directed by Robert Greenwood and distributed by Brave new Films, which Wikipedia describes as "a nonprofit film studio whose work is distributed for free in concert with nonprofit partners and movements in order to educate and mobilize for progressive causes." (Emphasis added)
It's a documentary of how WallyWorld comes into town and runs all of the small guys out of business. In order to avoid paying benefits, they only have one or two "full time" actual employees.
Unless you aren't counting salaried management as "actual employees" then Greenwood's assertion is incorrect. My store has, in addition to the store manager, at least eight full time assistant managers (I may have forgotten two or three in the grocery department.) All of the department managers are full time hourly management and there are a number of full time associates in addition to myself. (Full time at Walmart is defined as working more than 35 hours a week.)
In addition, they will take on a new product from a vendor, then if it does well, they will start making it themselves under their house brand and then drop the vendor.
While I've seen some branded items replaced with similar house brand items, for the most part Walmart carries their house branded products next to the national or regional brand products to give customers the option of buying the budget item or paying more for quality. Walmart even offers their own brand of TVs now, but still carries TVs from a stunning number of national (or international) manufacturers.

In addition, if you look at the groups that supported this film, you'd discover that they include MoveOn.org and unions (through their "Wake Up Walmart" and "Walmart Watch" campaigns) among others. You also have to consider that this movie is now 13 years old and much of the assertions made in this film no longer apply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom