Need a new truck Ram 2500 Hemi or F150 Eco?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2012 F-150 FX4 super crew with the Ecoboost motor and I love it. 16+ mpg in the city 20+ on the highway, rides super smooth, HUGE backseat (I have 2 kids in car seats), and has tons of power. When my wife drove it from Cheyenne, WY to San Antonio, TX last spring she averaged 26 mpg. I will drive this truck until the wheels fall off (which won't happen anytime soon, see vid below) and I'll buy another. Check out the vid below that Mike Rowe did. They absolutely TORTURED an Ecoboost motor in an F-150 and it didn't skip a beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEqwXrqzH4

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2010+ Rams are much better quality than the previous trucks under the Dodge banner. I think Ram has the nicest interior of the big 3 in all weight classes. I don't understand the comparison though. If you think you need a 6.4L 3/4 ton, you shouldn't be comparing to a 1/2 ton Ford. If a 1/2 ton can do the job, compare to the half ton Ram.

In 1/2 tons, the Ram 5.7 Hemi makes 30hp more, the Ecoboost makes 10ft/lbs more torque. You should be able to get a new Ram SLT or a 2014 Ford XLT in the low $30k range. I wouldn't buy a 2015 F150.

If low $30k range is your budget, personally, I'd look for a 2010-2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Will try to answer some of the questions and give some other thoughts.

The new Ram v6 diesel does intrigue me but haven't seen too many newer used one on the market yet, not to mention they bring an additional $3-$4K in price.

Some asked why am I comparing the two trucks as they are not in the same class of truck. I understand this but I wanted opinions of the two as those are the trucks I'm most interested in at this time of my search. I have spent some time driving my FILs F250 4x4 with the 6.2 and it is nice so I may end up taking a closer look at that as well. I do like the gas mileage of the F150 and most of what I heard of the Ecoboost is either positive or rave reviews. I would probably only but one if it was a certified pre-owned and could get the additional 7 year 100K mile extended warranty. I would hate to have something go seriously wrong with the twin turbos and not have coverage.

Some have mentioned the 5.4l. If this is the same 5.4l triton that has been around for a while I will steer clear of that motor. I, personally, had some very bad luck with that motor in my wife's last Expedition. No thanks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some have mentioned the 5.4l. If this is the same 5.4l triton that has been around for a while I will steer clear of that motor. I, personally, had some very bad luck with that motor in my wife's last Expedition. No thanks.
The last year for the 5.4 was, IIRC, 2010; in 2011, they went with an all-new engine lineup.

I have a '13 F-150 STX regular cab short bed with the 5.0 Coyote mill. I bought it new in '13, and I just rolled over 25,000 miles. The seats aren't as adjustable as the ones in my Lincoln, but they're quite comfortable (admittedly, the longest trips I've taken have been to Tulsa), and there's plenty of room--and I'm a pretty big guy.

FWIW, you don't buy the EB35 mill for mileage. It's built for hauling, with output similar to the 6.2L V8, so, mileage-wise, you should be comparing it to the 6.2L, not the D37 or Coyote.

Also, you don't have to go CPO; as long as the truck is within the 3/36 factory bumper-to-bumper warranty period, you can buy a Ford ESP plan to cover you out to 100K miles. (There's already a 5/50 ESP on the powertrain, but I don't know which model years are covered by that.)

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just read the original post, so forgive me if this has been rehashed.

I have a 2011 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. I bought it used at 23K miles about a year and a half ago and it's at about 36k miles right now. The only thing I've had go wrong with the truck is the tail gate lock is seized up. The handle is fully functional, I just can't lock it. My wife has a 2013 Explorer, with the same engine, and we've had no trouble. From what I've seen, and I may have missed something, it seems like Ford's fit and finish inside the trucks is better than Dodge's. Ford makes a really nice truck that doesn't leave you wanting for a whole lot. The only real complaint I have is my reverse camera. It works well, and is really clear during the day, but it's not so great at night. My wife's works really well at night, so I think they just dropped the ball in the F-150. $15 in aftermarket plug and play lighting fixed the issue for me, so I'm not that mad about it.

Some Eco boosts have an issue bogging between 40-50'ish when you lay on the gas. Be sure to try that when test driving one. I think it was isolated to the '11 and '12 year groups. Mine does not do this.

One more comment about where my shopping choices come from. I'm not a Ford guy (or any other maker), despite the two Fords in the driveway. They just happened to make what I like in the year/price range I was looking at. I much prefer Chevys and GMCs when you reach back to 2004 and earlier. Ford takes the lead a bit in 2004 and then steps out in front in 2010 (or is it '09, with the new body) IMO. I do like that they didn't take any bailout money, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to that story than I've cared to look up. I buy used, rarely from a dealer, so my money is going to the guy I'm picking it up from, not the dealer. I'm not going to pass up a better vehicle because of the decision a CEO or board made. Basically, I'm not a fan boy, and I settled on Ford because I believe it's the better product this time. Take that for what it's worth.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 2012 F150 FX4 with the 5.0 in it. I absolutely love my truck. Its fully loaded and does everything I need it to do. My hunting partner and I take turns who drives. He has a 2012 dodge 3/4 ton. I absolutely hate riding in that thing. It rides rough as hell and its uncomfortable. Even he comments on how smooth and comfortable my truck is to ride in. I don't have any experience with the ecoboost but I spend some time over on the F150 Forums and I see a lot of positive reviews. Its worth heading over there and reading around a bit.

I'm not sure what package you are looking for on an F150 but the FX4 is very nice. Its a little more sporty and doesn't have much chrome, not to mention the black on black leather interior.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went back and skimmed the 2nd page.

FWIW, you don't buy the EB35 mill for mileage.
That's very true. I get about 15 in the city, 16 if I really baby it, and 18 on the highway at 60mph. I think I'm due for a plug change since my numbers are a little lower than they should. From what I've read on the message forums, the Ecoboost and 5.0 get just about the same gas mileage. The Ecoboost is only that lineup in spirit. I think it gets the badge because it's a turbocharged engine, but it's no fuel saver.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone on this thread keeps calling a Ram a "Dodge". Its a Fiat, bumper to bumper with uncomfortable seats and a cheap interior. I've had Ram, Chevy and Ford for company vehicles over the years. I wouldn't spend good money on a ram. Get the Ford

As for the Ram being called a Dodge, last I saw of dealerships in the U.S., all that I saw show Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep on their signage at the dealerships. If the Fiat name is there, I missed it. I need to do some more research, but I wonder if any data plates on the Ram still have the Dodge name on it.

As for Fords, I've driven all kinds of trucks and had a lot less trouble with the Fords than the others. Also, Ford is still the top selling truck in the U.S., having that distinction for the 38 years running.

Latest posts

Top Bottom