Need a new truck Ram 2500 Hemi or F150 Eco?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, although I have a company truck that I am allowed to use for a lot of personal use. Said truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 SLT 4x2 5.7 Hemi. It has been a great truck so far with little issues at 56K miles. Although company policy has not really changed regarding personal use they do have some fairly strict new policies about at fault accidents or damage and termination of employment. For 12 years I have not had a person vehicle to regularly use because I used my company truck for all personal use.

Well, the time has come for me to purchase my own truck for personal use and park my work truck in the evenings and weekends. This will minimize the risk of any type of accident thus potentially loosing my job. Truck will maybe be driven 6-8K miles per year.

I have narrowed the trucks down to a Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 with the Hemi or the Ford F150 4x4 Ecoboost. Currently leaning towards the Ram 2500 as I am finding I can get the aforementioned Ram in a 2014 model with 15K-25K miles for mid $30k range while the similarly equipped and model year Ford F150 is in the low $40K.

Questions: how do you guys like the Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi in 4x4? My father has one that is a 2011 model, iirc. It is nice and I have driven it but where he lives you really never get above 45mph or have long distances to drive so I don't have a lot of wheel time in it. Does it have the power for a 3/4 ton truck if towing 4k-6k lb trailers not too often? I have read about the new 6.4 Hemi and wonder if it would be a better option. Not much gain over the 5.7 with HP/TQ but apparently built for HD use and longevity. Anyways, put your brand biases away, if you can, and tell me what truck you would purchase and why. Is the Ford worth the extra money or is the full size Ram the better option? Thanks

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah Dennis. I really like the F150 with the Ecoboost but the additional cost and the fact that part of the role my truck will play will be used for family road trips from CA to OK and CA to Montana. The larger cab in the Ram would be a plus. Hope to get some good feedback.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My brother in law raises mountain horses near Houston, Tx. He pulls a large horse trailer, up to 4 horses at a time usually. He just traded a 5.7 Hemi for the 6.4 Hemi and he said the pulling difference was very noticeable. All his towing is flat ground, and didn't really see the need for a diesel. Ford interiors are nicer and more comfortable than a Dodge, half tons and 3/4 tons alike..........my brother in law said the same when he rode in my super duty.

IIRC, there's more room in a crew cab 1/2 ton ford, than there is in the cab of a 3/4 ton ford.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a Dodge fan at all. My mind is open though.

My experience with dodge trucks in the military was way far from positive.
Doors falling off on rough roads is only one of the issues. I realize times have changed, but the sour taste in my mouth is still there.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked at the interiors and other features? Pick the one you like best, they are both good. I haven't looked in a couple of years now but Ford had the lock on all P/Us as far as being nice and comfortable. More refined if you will. Dodge was more in line with a work truck that had some decent features.

Edit: Okie beat me to it

Edit #2: Something I remembered from when I lived out there. My roommate had a factory supercharged F150 Harley Edition. When we drove it back and forth from Oklahoma (several times) it didn't even notice those mountains, not one bit. That thing didn't downshift out of overdrive ever! Whether the cruise was set at 60 or 85, it just didn't care. We weren't pulling a trailer but the bed was pretty loaded with luggage and a couple families worth of Christmas gifts, so it was somewhat loaded at least. So those twin turbos on the ecoboost might really help out if you're in the mountains a lot. Something you may want to consider.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oki and shadow, great info. Here's my deal on the interiors. My company truck is the Ram 1500 SLT model with cloth seats but does have power everything with backup alarm, etc. just no high tech navigation stuff. I'm in my truck 6 hours a day and sometimes longer and the cloth seats are by far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Much more so than the older F250 I had before the Ram I have now. More so than my wife's 2012 Explore Limited 4wd and more comfy than my FIL 2012 F250 Lariot leather seats. With this, to keep costs down and have some comfort I will get the cloth seat options in whatever truck I decide. My wife's Explorer is top of the line for the model so we have the "nice interior" in her car. For my use, I'm good with the middle of the line models, unless some smoking deal come up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 82 Bronco with cloth seats were extremely comfortable. Many long distance trips.

I've been on a couple of short trips in Fords King Ranch trucks with all the bells and whistles.

Totally uncomfortable, stiff, hard leather whatever. Looks great though.

My 95 Tacoma with cloth bucket seats are totally comfortable for 10 hour drives.

All of that is good, My main concern is the engine/drive line.

I've owned very few pickups in my life as far as numbers go. A 61, 82, 95, and here I am looking for another. Average 12-15 years between Pickups.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from Ford to Dodge once because of the price. I went back and cannot recommend a Dodge product. Reliability, premature wear and incipient major maintenance issues caused me to go back to Ford.

In the long run, you may be happier with a Ford. I looked at all four full-size trucks when I bought in 2013. Toyota didn't really get a shot with no 3/4 tons and no diesel plants, Dodge has a great engine in the Cummins and the truck will fall apart around the engine, GM truck (3500 diesel) seemed gutless with a load next to my gas F250. Ended up with a 2012 F250 Powerstroke and I think I will keep this one until it quits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom