Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe also certain times of the year play a factor in it as well. Say family usually travel with kiddos, or without in the summer and say in the fall or spring people have more "freed up" funds. Especially around refund time. Folks without the kiddos, or retired may have a more fixed spending budget and the rise and cost of things today put a damper on certain items. I do know housing interest rates are a tad higher than say 5 years ago and especially to top off the grocery cart for a family of four is insane.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having some luck selling some stuff. A few things I thought would be a hard sell went right away and others I thought would sell quickly are struggling.

I've been half-assed watching Zillow for a suitable house for a friend in Colorado and I'm seeing large price drops on houses. I think the real estate market is softening quite a bit.
We have a handful of homes for sale in neighborhood that have had signs up for a couple of months. Last year they were selling within hours of listing and at times sold before listing. Crazy! Houses here are showing price decreases as well.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can only speak to my experiences and having a taste for vintage and classic guns I often see people listing their guns at a vastly exaggerated price. What I run across mostly are people wanting collector prices for a non-collector quality gun. Case in point just yesterday when at the Militaria Show in Chickasha a gent there had a US Remington Model 11 on his table and as I looked at it he comes over and says “you don’t want to know what I’m asking for that gun”. Really? So this guy wants so much for this gun he thinks it would scare me? BTW the gun was very well used and had mismatched furniture with the forend having been given a gloss finish while the stock had been stripped, sanded and what looked to be a BLO finish or was an aftermarket. I didn’t bother picking it up to find out. Another guy here on OSA was asking $1600 for a single barrel Browning A5 from the ‘60s. Just last year I bought the identical gun from H&H for $750 and it was in 95% condition with the exception of a single mark (likely a belt buckle) on the stock and was a two barrel set. In fact here is the gun. I do NOT mind paying $5000 for a gun but it darn sure better be a $5000 gun and not some beat up example of what once could have been a $5000 gun. View attachment 490652View attachment 490653
Man, I love this- I bought one of these new in the early 80's to replace my dad's old Remington mod 11 that was wore out and had a full chock barrel- I dusted many a pheasant- quail and dove with it. When I sold out my country place, I put a dozen pieces in the auction I was having. Everything brought top money and some above, but man I wish I had kept the A5 cause my nephew took over the family farm and loves to shoot and wanted me to come out and dove hunt. Had to round up a shotgun which was easy to do on here, but it's not my A5.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it's sometimes good to start an asking price off high, then after a while decrease the price just like with anything of value.
It's sometimes hard to put a price without using the Internet for a baseline price of things. It boils down to what someone will pay to have.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People do have money as they always do but they are reluctant to part with large sums. Found this today:
The video, in which he revisits a grocery list from 2022 and compares it to current prices, underscores the severe inflation affecting American consumers. What cost him $126.67 two years ago now totals over $414, reflecting a staggering 225% increase. https://ettalkshow.com/grocery-bill-shocks-tiktoker-from-127-to-414-in-two-years/
Sounds far-fetched but stranger things have happened.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the elections are having anything to do with it- Biden has it so screwed up and Trump is getting so screwed over, it just makes me sick to be witnessing it. I can buy whatever I want now days, but I'm not paying primo on a used piece. I'm not buying new and paying taxes unless there's a discount of some kind. If there's anything to the success I've had in my life, it has been I run it like a business- try to make wise purchases, so if you want to resale latter, you have room to move it and cover the gas it takes to do so. Some say I'm cheap, I say your dumb. If I have to give you new price for something, I want it to be new.
Housing had a long- good run. Interest rates were cheap and the time to move was hot and heavy for folks. Been doing real estate off and on since 1979. Seen all kinds of ups/downs in this business. In 1984 it was like someone reached over and flipped off the switch and there was no light for a good long while. That was after Carter and his bunch screwed everything up. Now the screw up is double bad casue they know it's not likely the country will let them have another four years of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom