Norman Police Chief Humphrey. Does he support a ban on semi-automatic firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actions speak louder then words.....especially for the Whitehouse, Feinstein, and Chief Humphrey....plus a whole lot of people that are trying to take our rights away while they speak one thing and do another.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Norman Transcript article only addressed what he went up there to talk about...not what he agrees with or supports in terms of gun control. Saying that you were not there to discuss a ban on weapons does not mean you do not support one....it just means you weren't asked to, and didn't, speak about it. Gun "bans" are only a part of the issue here. Magazine restrictions, UBC etc...
"I made it clear in advance, my focus was not going to have anything to do with banning weapons," Humphrey said. "It's not the law-abiding citizens who are causing the problems," he said. "I was very specific in what my part on this thing would be."
"I made it very clear to the facilitators that my focus would be on strengthening firearms purchaser background checks, and particularly adding Oklahoma mental health records to the federal system. I also explained that I would be representing NOBLE strictly on the aforementioned topics only," Humphrey said. "I also made it clear that I was not willing to discuss banning firearms or high capacity magazines."
That's not the statement of someone who "just [wasn't] asked to, and didn't, speak about it"--those are the words of someone who told them up front that he would NOT be speaking about those issues. Whether he doesn't support them or it's just politically untenable to support them is irrelevant; he denied them support on those issues.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...denied them support on those issues but then stood shoulder to shoulder with them, in uniform, when they demanded congress take action on those same issues? And allowed his name to appear in the official organization's written press release echoing the same?

Come on.

To be fair, maybe he wasn't at the Partnership's press conference and his name is printed in error...it'd be nice to know.

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my friend to ask if the city council had their meeting with Chief Humphrey about this situation (the meeting referenced in my previous post). He said he'd ask.

He got this response from his city councilman:

We have been communicating with him (Chief Humphrey)....he was on vacation all last week. We are continuing our discussion this week. This will not fade away and I will fill you in asap.

Thank you,

Chad Williams (end of e-mail)

I'm really starting to like this Chad Williams. He's quick to reply, and appears to be a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I don't live in Norman, but I'm glad they have someone like this on their council.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course he's on vacation. He and the Spencer Police Chief are probably planning their next little get together for a "worthy cause".

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I found the Chief of Police's name as supporting requiring background checks, improving the NICS by ensuring the disqualifying records of all prohibited firearms purchasers are contained in the system, to Ban new semiautomatic assualt weapons, and limit high-capacity ammunition magazines to ten rounds. If he was there just for the mental health issues his name would not have been written as a supporter of this document. They wanted to DEMAND congress to act and end the epidemic of gun violence. The organization he is a member of: " supports and wants to extend background checks for all firearms purchasers" and to remove " all Assault Weapons and high-capacity magazines and instruments which were made only for carnage, pure and simple". that's a strong statement, and not one word of the document talks about mental issues. That news release was sent to newspapers around the country by Kelly Keane representing The National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun Violence.
Mental Health...right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom