Norman Police Chief Humphrey. Does he support a ban on semi-automatic firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Stan. It was great meeting you at the gun show. You're the best representative for OSA that I can imagine.

Does the fact that our chief does not support a ban mean we have to put our pitch forks and torches away? ;)

Has that been established as a fact by his actions or words?

What about UBC, magazine bans, and registration? The organizations he voluntarily affiliates with, and accepts money from, are for all of the above.

Not good company to keep if you don't support gun bans.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the official press release from the Partnerships press conference: http://lepartnership.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/LEPartnership-2-27-Fly-In.pdf

Key points quoted.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT
February 27, 2013 Kelly Keane at 410-*‐‑321-*‐‑0137
LAW ENFORCEMENT LEADERS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY CALLED ON CONGRESS
TODAY TO TAKE ACTION TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE

As part of the National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun Violence, an alliance of the nation’s most important law enforcement organizations, police leaders from across the country came together in Washington, D.C. today to demand that Congress act to end the epidemic of gun violence that kills more than
30 Americans every day.

Law enforcement officials representing the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA), the Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCC), and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) joined together at a press conference to call on Congress to:

• Require background checks for all firearm purchasers;
• Improve the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), by ensuring that disqualifying records of all prohibited firearms purchasers are contained in the system;
• Ban new semi-*‐‑automatic assault weapons; and
• Limit high-*‐‑capacity ammunition magazines to ten rounds.

"ʺThere is no more urgent issue facing Congress than the safety of our communities nationwide,” said Chief
Jim Johnson, Baltimore County, MD, Chair of the National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun
Violence, and Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCC) representative to the Partnership. “Congress must act
now to curb rising gun violence by passing legislation requiring background checks on all firearms sales and
banning assault weapons and high-*‐‑capacity magazines of more than ten rounds."ʺ

“National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives urge Congress to act immediately to put an end
to the scourge of gun violence in our country – both mass shootings and the everyday/routine violence that
pervades our towns and cities, said Chief John Dixon, Petersburg, VA, and 2nd Vice President of the
organization. “Extending background checks for all firearm purchasers is a common-*‐‑sense measure. Assault
weapons and high-*‐‑capacity ammunition magazines are instruments of carnage, pure and simple, and must be
removed from our streets.

Chiefs Johnson, Glavin, Cunningham and Dixon were joined by more than 25 of their law enforcement
colleagues including:

• NOBLE’s Travis Christian, Chief, Waverly, PA; Keith Humphrey, Chief of Police, Norman, OK; Virgil
Green, Chief of Police, Spencer, OK
; Victor McCraw, Captain, Arizona Department of Public Safety;
William Nagle, Deputy Chief, Denver, CO; Thomas Ryff, Chief, Tempe, AZ; and Perry Tarrant,
Captain, Tucson, AZ; and John Vinson, Chief of Police, University of Washington.

About the National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun Violence
The Partnership is an alliance of the nation’s law enforcement leadership organizations concerned about the
unacceptable level of gun violence in the United States. The Partnership is working to address the pervasive
nature of gun violence and its horrific impact on community and officer safety. The Partnership includes the
following member organizations, all of which support expanding background checks to all firearm
purchasers, improving records in NICS, and banning new ammunition magazines in excess of ten rounds
:

Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA)
Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association (HAPCOA)
International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA)
International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCC)
National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives (NAWLEE)
National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
Police Foundation (PF)
Seven of the nine organizations have also taken positions in support of legislation banning new semi-*‐‑
automatic assault weapons, and enhancing penalties for straw purchasers and gun trafficking.

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quoted from the article in the Norman Transcript.

Humphrey’s trip was paid for by the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives.

Another member of a "racist" organization in a public office.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quoted from the article in the Norman Transcript.

Another member of a "racist" organization in a public office.

Let's not go down that road and get the thread closed please.

Keep it on track to the relevent points.

1) Does the Chief disavow and disassociate himself from NOBLE's and the Law Enforcement Partnership's stance on gun control?

2) Was the Chief present at the press conference associated with the press release posted above or was his name printed in error?

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've made the mistake of joining organizations who promised me, they were not for or against something, only to have it come out in the press they were. and i felt used. It made me angry but worst of all, it meant that even if I said I disagreed with them, it would look like I did. My friends and people who believed in me, would think I was lying. Nothing I could do would change that. So my lesson learned was twofold. One; Do Not Believe the Press. They always get it wrong. And two; be careful what I joined. Our Police Chief is just learningh that lesson. We could give him the benifite of doubt and believe he really is only interested in Mental Health issues or we could choose to think he is lying. for me, I feel the young guy learned a lesson and I'm willing to believe that he is only interested in the mental health issue. Sometime people of passion cause others to listen to the passion and not the words. I think this is what happened here.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points Stan, and I agree. But we've yet to see a statement from the Chief stating very clearly that he disagrees with NOBLE's and The Partnership's position. Their position is clear, and it has been clear for some time, so it's not like the good Chief just got ambushed or suckered into joining an anti-gun group.

The Norman Transcript article only addressed what he went up there to talk about...not what he agrees with or supports in terms of gun control. Saying that you were not there to discuss a ban on weapons does not mean you do not support one....it just means you weren't asked to, and didn't, speak about it. Gun "bans" are only a part of the issue here. Magazine restrictions, UBC etc...

It should be easy. The Partnership spelled out their agenda and held a press conference calling for implementation of that agenda? Was he present at the press conference? If not, did he demand that The Partnership issue a correction of their press release? Does his disagree with the Partnership's agenda?

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can attend a conference organized by fienswine and not know what the agenda is then you're too stupid to be police chief

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's not go down that road and get the thread closed please.

Keep it on track to the relevent points.

1) Does the Chief disavow and disassociate himself from NOBLE's and the Law Enforcement Partnership's stance on gun control?

2) Was the Chief present at the press conference associated with the press release posted above or was his name printed in error?

It's already been mentioned once when we were speaking about the Spencer Police Chief. Refer to post #17 where I made that statement. When I found out about the Norman Police Chief's association with the same organization, I made the same statement again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom