Now I understand the reason for proper battery disposal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap @SlugSlinger ! You OK?!?!??!
Yeah, fine. May have got a little lucky with this experiment. The torch did get a cardboard box a little but nothing major. There was a lot of smoke. I ventilated the shop and it still stinks.
Edit- I can say this, I won’t be dismantling another one of these.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lithium batteries are not something to trifle with.

Lots of information here.

ETA: I was actually looking for a link I read awhile back on how much water it took to put out a fully enveloped car fire vs. one of the new EV vehicle fires. It was a real eye opener. Something along the lines of 5000 gallons vs 100,000 gallons or some ridiculous crazy number like that. I found the above link that explains why that is and how it's actually dangerous to use water to put them out. It creates hydrogen gas when the water contacts the electrolyte. I think that a few car fires should wake up some of the green crowd. Maybe...When their house burns down and takes half the block with it from the LI battery bank going runaway on them it might.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - I had a medium-sized, swollen LIPO battery that I decided to puncture and soak in water before tossing in the trash. Bad idea. Thankfully, I was in the garage and quickly got it to the driveway with a shovel. I had a good fire / fog going in the driveway. Batteries plus now gets those damn things.
Lithium likes to burn really hot and it likes to burn even more when it gets water on it. It also like to explode and burn when it gets shot as well.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lithium batteries are not something to trifle with.

Lots of information here.

ETA: I was actually looking for a link I read awhile back on how much water it took to put out a fully enveloped car fire vs. one of the new EV vehicle fires. It was a real eye opener. Something along the lines of 5000 gallons vs 100,000 gallons or some ridiculous crazy number like that. I found the above link that explains why that is and how it's actually dangerous to use water to put them out. It creates hydrogen gas when the water contacts the electrolyte. I think that a few car fires should wake up some of the green crowd. Maybe...When their house burns down and takes half the block with it from the LI battery bank going runaway on them it might.

I’ve got a friend that’s worked in the petroleum dispensing industry and is familiar with fire codes. He was just talking with a friend about the dangers of putting out EV auto fires. New equipment and methods of fire extinguishing are being developed to fight those types of fires.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
scary yo.jpg

Latest posts