NRA sits out gunfight with feds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am no longer a NRA member. Most of the publications I read were skewed and only half truth. I agree with the member who stated that the NRA is like a union, they helped when they were needed, but no more need for them. Just my opinion.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey the NRA is th suckiest, best, ney largest fighter for 2nd amendment rights. I am paying my grand, but I think I need to do more so I am looking into joining the GOA as a life member. Maybe my vote will count twice without being a Chicago machine politician.

Edit, just checked out GOA and you get a life membership for $500 and they throw in a nobel peace prize too: http://gunowners.org/images/goanobel.jpg

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey the NRA is th suckiest, best, ney largest fighter for 2nd amendment rights. I am paying my grand, but I think I need to do more so I am looking into joining the GOA as a life member. Maybe my vote will count twice without being a Chicago machine politician.

Edit, just checked out GOA and you get a life membership for $500 and they throw in a nobel peace prize too: http://gunowners.org/images/goanobel.jpg

:thumbup3:see folks the if the too big to fail NRA would just get the heck out of the way and admit they're irrelevent other organizations will rise to take its place,good ole free entreprise at its best.:thumbup3:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Form the Justices themselves - "read" and "obey". No mention of "interpret".

The Court is laying down the law that they must abide the Constitution.

This is not the Court "interpreting" the Constitution, nor is it the Court assuming such power.

That's all well and good, but overly simplistic. You cant 'read and obey' or abide by something until you interpret what it means. Hence all the complicated legal battles over the years. The Constitution is not a simple checklist...it has to be studied, and will be studied, especially when you put a bunch of lawyers in robes and appoint them for life. They have nothing else to do.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on in. Buy a life membership and vote your choices for the board members. Run for the board yourself. Write letters to your board members as an insider, not an outsider who criticizes without knowing the political and fiscal reality.

And you will learn what it is like to try to cover the most important bases when 95% of the gun owners in the country ride on the 2A wagon and ***** about the bumpy ride. There is never enough money to cover all the most important issues, much less every one that comes along.

I dream about what it would be like if only 1 in 5 gun owners became active, so 20% of the gun owners would be pushing the wagon, and only 80% taking the free ride.

Make no mistake, the NRA members and representatives are THE most effective lobby to the US Congress. And every gun owner in the country is welcomed and encouraged to become a full voting member and help set policy.

The NRA does not lobby to congress. The NRA-ILA does. You can donate directly to the NRA-ILA without wasting your money on an NRA membership.

I'm also going to join the Democratic party, give them $1500, and try to talk them into being less liberal.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on in. Buy a life membership and vote your choices for the board members. Run for the board yourself. Write letters to your board members as an insider, not an outsider who criticizes without knowing the political and fiscal reality.

And you will learn what it is like to try to cover the most important bases when 95% of the gun owners in the country ride on the 2A wagon and ***** about the bumpy ride. There is never enough money to cover all the most important issues, much less every one that comes along.

I dream about what it would be like if only 1 in 5 gun owners became active, so 20% of the gun owners would be pushing the wagon, and only 80% taking the free ride.

Make no mistake, the NRA members and representatives are THE most effective lobby to the US Congress. And every gun owner in the country is welcomed and encouraged to become a full voting member and help set policy.
Agreed. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our own face.
Or jump from the frying pan into the fire.
Or throw the baby out with the bathwater.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but overly simplistic. You cant 'read and obey' or abide by something until you interpret what it means. Hence all the complicated legal battles over the years. The Constitution is not a simple checklist...it has to be studied, and will be studied, especially when you put a bunch of lawyers in robes and appoint them for life. They have nothing else to do.

Make of it what you will but it doesn't change the plain truth.

The word "interpret" contains too broad of a list of definitions to be useful in anything as precise and unambiguous as the Constitution. If "read" and "obey" was sufficient for the first Supreme Court, it's sufficient for everyone. I don't think any subsequent Court has shot down that precedent.

Steven Cue said:
Let em go away and see what happens

No doubt that would be a bit of a disaster. The problem with the NRA resides in the Board of Directors and what I perceive as a protectionist system of "appointments masquerading as elections". That said, even the current system can be made to work if the voting record of all the current board members were made known to we the hoi polloi. Otherwise, how we vote is guesswork at best. If we were to know their voting records, we'd at least be able to decide who needs to be replaced.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom