Old Cemetery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You betcha! Since I got a good detector from cousin Scott (@Snattlerake ) I've hardly had a chance to play with it!
Undo the batteries until you are ready to detect.

Also, put the detector in your trunk. You will never detect anything you just happened to drive by and say to yourself, "That place looks good. I wish I had my detector with me!"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of genealogy communities online too and they track and follow obscure gravesites too. You might be able to dig some stuff up online if you search carefully
There certainly is.
https://genealogytrails.com/oka/abandoned_neglected_cemeteries.htmWe have an abandoned graveyard about 2 miles from one of the farms. I've wandered through there among the trees and brush. appears to be a family site.
I've also found a family graveyard on Kaw Lake while hunting. The stones show several children that died at birth and a couple years later, the mom died.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There certainly is.
https://genealogytrails.com/oka/abandoned_neglected_cemeteries.htmWe have an abandoned graveyard about 2 miles from one of the farms. I've wandered through there among the trees and brush. appears to be a family site.
I've also found a family graveyard on Kaw Lake while hunting. The stones show several children that died at birth and a couple years later, the mom died.
That’s honestly pretty heartbreaking. Hopefully no one ever vandalizes the grave markers, no matter how basic they are

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Burn it off and see if there is anything at ground level. Keep in mind what may appear to just be a rock may be a grave marker. I know of a few old graveyards that are in very remote locations like that.
A lot of the cemataries in poor areas did just that. They used a rock to mark a grave with the location kept by a church or in the family records. Wife's best friend growing up had her dad die in Eastern Ok.
We went to the funeral where the preacher spoke over the grave and then I was asked to take a rock from the pile by the church and place it on the grave. Then the location was marked on a map.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own the land, and I bought it from my aunt and uncle. I would have to do some research to find out who they bought it from.
Courthouse has all those records, and they are glad to help research that. It's actually interesting going through those archived records written down over the years.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Courthouse has all those records, and they are glad to help research that. It's actually interesting going through those archived records written down over the years.
My dad has done some amazing research into our family history. It’s amazing how many records there are in newspapers and like you said at the courthouses.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does having a grave/cemetary put restrictions on what you can do with your land? What if it is Indian country?
Thats an interesting question. When my mom passed, we had the funeral director tell us that there is a way to spread ones ashes across the ground on family land. If done according to the law and one uses the special spreader that is rented out and expensive, advolorem taxes are waived on that area forever.
It would take a ton of research to confirm that though. It's just what we were told.
We live in Osage county. There are lots of private cemeteries as all of Osage county is the Rez.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s not a neighbor a mile or maybe two.

I don’t even hunt around my house, so I’m not really worried about any restrictions especially where this is located.

If you’ve got a good metal detector, we need to snoop around in there.
I have a good MD too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom