On a lighter note. Best Guitar Player Ever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like anything else 'the best' is subjective. Its like asking anyone here who makes the best ribs in town or which BBQ sauce is the best. Best for who? Youll get 1000 different 'bests'. Same with music. Metal guys like power and speed, country guys like twang, jazz guys like improvising, blues guys like it smoky and rich, acoustic guys like it subtle and smooth with finesse, etc etc.

Well said.....

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a huge Iggy Pop fan so so Stooges fan.

(Speaking of Iggy Pop, have you heard him and Josh H's desert recordings recorded out at 'the house' out in Joshua Tree? Ive seen them do one of tunes together and it was F'n epic).

Just heard the one they played on TV recently (Gardenia). I will give it all listen soon. I'm a big stooges fan and bigger Kyuss/QOTSA/Desert Sessions/EODM/ fan. Jealous!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like anything else 'the best' is subjective. Its like asking anyone here who makes the best ribs in town or which BBQ sauce is the best. Best for who? Youll get 1000 different 'bests'. Same with music. Metal guys like power and speed, country guys like twang, jazz guys like improvising, blues guys like it smoky and rich, acoustic guys like it subtle and smooth with finesse, etc etc.
This metal guy hates speed. I'm all about stoner/sludge/doom.

I got to see Matt Pike and Al Cisneros play ACL Moody last year. Nerds dream come true. Al was playing through 5(!) SVTs. With that system at Moody, it was other worldly...

....from what I remember.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This metal guy hates speed. I'm all about stoner/sludge/doom.

I got to see Matt Pike and Al Cisneros play ACL Moody last year. Nerds dream come true. Al was playing through 5(!) SVTs. With that system at Moody, it was other worldly...

....from what I remember.

Im into that scene too as a fan just not as a player, Im still hacking away in the dying extreme metal and growing industrial metal scenes. Pays money.

F me, 5 SVTs. I play bass as well as guitar and just one of my SVT rigs is enough. I also have an Ampeg rig too. I use a 1x15 cab with a 4x10 cab on top usually with 2 heads split w/ a Radial Switchbone. Sunn O prolly uses that many or more bass rigs but with guitars run thru them.

Im playing thru an AX-FX processor and a Kemper profiler now and its really weird just walking in with a guitar and a processor and running DI to the PA. This is my old Marshall rack drawing dust now-
[Broken External Image]

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got rid of my Les Pauls and play strictly Strats now.
Ive owned one Strat in my entire 37 year playing life and it was an Eric Clapton 'Blackie' that I bought used in 87' and modded the crap out of it. I added a Floyd Rose and then put Lace sensors in for awhile before changing to a set of Dave Gilmour active EMG single coils, been an EMG user ever since, all of my guitars have them now. But no more Strats. I play Schecter 7 or 8 string superstrats w/Floyds and Gibson Les Paul Standards. I have 4 of each superstrat, 4 Les Pauls, and about 10 acoustic and classicals. The only rub with a Les Paul is tuners, even the best tuners suck and they almost never stay in tune, and Im not big on adding a Floyd to one even tho Lifeson makes it work badass as hell. I have one 30 year old Les Paul and the rest are reissues. Im kind of a cheapskate gear buyer, I would rather buy high quality but used and abused gear then fix em and mod the hell out of em vs shiny and unbroken in new.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man you can keep those giant SVT amps and cabinets. I'm happy playing through my Bergantino HD212 cab and a Markbass head and Compressore.....I'm tired of carrying all that crap.

Tommy Crook anyone..? Roy Clark floored me when I was a kid watching "The Odd Couple".

https://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A

Nice nice rig. Yaa, the SVT rigs are overkill for most any show these days with really decent house PAs, but stoner rock and metal still pretty much requires alot of noise and amps.

My parents used to go see Tommy when I was a kid and rave about him to me.

The most floored Ive ever been watching a guitarist play has been between Roy Clark, Jose Feliciano, or Glen Cambell. I saw Roy ripping it up as a kid on a TV show and I had to get down on the floor right in front of the TV to see it as close as I could. Jose I saw him in a rare PBS show and his electric work just totally freaked me out he was that good and it was in the late 70s. Same with Glen, those old country dudes can shredd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom