On a lighter note. Best Guitar Player Ever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like most all the pickers listed in this thread! One of the best concerts I've EVER seen was a Merle Haggard show at the old Ziegfeld's in Tulsa off 71st street back in the late 70's. That was when he had his large band and I got to see Eldon Shamblin up close playing that gold colored Strat that now hangs in the Cains. There may be better guitarists than Shamblin somewhere, but none more complete. That man knew his stuff!

I got a 'lesson' with him once in the 90s in Pawhuska at a Bob Wills Reunion picnic/benefit at the Osage county fairgrounds a few years before he died. My grandfather was a fiddler/violinist and a good friend of Bob Wills. Bob had lived in Pawhuska at one time and was married to a woman that was friends with my gramma. At the time I worked on the side for Peavey when I wasnt playing music and we supplied the PA gear for the show so I was there helping with the sound and met Mr Shamblin who was going to be playing at the benefit. We did his sound check and then he showed us some chicken pickin. Many years later when I played a Cancer Sucks benefit at the Cains in a metal band I looked up at Bob and Eldons pictures the afternoon of the show and apologized for the godawful ugly noises we were about to make in that holy shrine. My name is scrawled on the Cains' green room wall a few times now.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Canadian- Ian Crichton- was a monster guitarist for the band Saga when I was a kid in the 80s, very underated. One of my favorite inspirations, I started using EMG active pickups because of this guy, and I liked the Steinbergers he played back in the day.

[video=youtube_share;gBawgQLAjsk]http://youtu.be/gBawgQLAjsk[/video]
[video=youtube_share;ICh7mYaGkbs]http://youtu.be/ICh7mYaGkbs[/video]

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a real technical player necessarily, but I really like Curt Kirkwood. Kinda silly and mesmerizing at the same time.

Also, no one has mentioned Brian May have they?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
love a worn guitar
i.imgur.com_y6RKizG.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

i.imgur.com_NB4mBHJ.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Willy Nelsons Guitar, is flat worn out. :D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw Neil a few years back when he re-did the Rust Never Sleeps tour with Crazy Horse, complete with the original stage props. I was front and center and it was pretty fawkin great.

Dude is 70 years old and plays like he is 19. All other old rockers should take notes (cough...mick and keith). Start this video at 8 minutes for the best example of my favorite kind of guitar playing. Who needs more than one note in a solo when you can make it bleed & scream?

Last edited by a moderator:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(And only you would know this, but...) Want me to post a SunnO vid? hahahaaaa, talk about one chord, they have entire one chord songs.

Lawl. Have you seen the Austin pysch fest lineup this year? Sunn O))), Sleep, Boris, Ween, Thurston Moore, Brain Wilson playing Pet Sounds. I get overwhelmed at festivals, but man, what a lineup.

I kinda worry Sunn O))) might actually make me hurt/feel sick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom