On a lighter note. Best Guitar Player Ever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists:

#32.

Billy Gibbons...

"Billy Gibbons was a guitarist to be reckoned with long before he grew that epic beard. In early 1968, his psychedelic garage band, the Moving Sidewalks, opened four Texas shows for the Jimi Hendrix Experience. According to local acidrock lore, Hendrix was so impressed by Gibbons' facility and firepower that he gave the young guitarist a pink Stratocaster as a gift. Gibbons has since glibly described what he plays with his four-decade-old trio, ZZ Top, as "spankin' the plank."

But from the muscular boogie of "La Grange" and the gnarly offbeat shuffle of "Jesus Left Chicago" to the synthlined glide of Eighties hits "Legs" and "Sharp Dressed Man," Gibbons' guitar work has been religiously true, in its thunderbolt attack and melodic concision, to his Texas forebears (Freddy King, Albert Collins) and the electric-Delta charge of Muddy Waters. "You can definitely make someone wiggle in their seat a little bit," Gibson says of his solos, "if you know where you're heading with it and end up there."

#19....James Burton the Master of the Telecaster

James Burton's trademark "chicken pickin'" style – bright, crisp and concise –l is one of the most unique sounds in country music, and a huge influence on rock guitar as well. Burton got his start when he was 14, writing "Susie Q," for Dale Hawkins, and became a teenage star when he joined Ricky Nelson's band in 1957. With Nelson, Burton created his distinct technique: He used a fingerpick and a flatpick, and replaced the four highest strings on his Telecaster with banjo strings, so that his guitar snapped, popped and stuttered.

"I never bought a Ricky Nelson record," Keith Richards said. "I bought a James Burton record." In the late Sixties and Seventies, he convened Elvis' TCB band and became a go-to guy on country-minded records by Joni Mitchell and Gram Parsons, and still tours today. "He was just a mysterious guy: 'Who is this guy and why is he on all these records I like?'" says Joe Walsh. "His technique was allimportant."

Key Tracks: "Hello Mary Lou,""Susie Q," "Believe What You Say"

Last edited by a moderator:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy pretty much taught me everything I know on electric as a teenager in my room driving my parents crazy trying to transpose their music. 5 years of classical lessons went by the wayside after I discovered Black Sabbath at 14. Tony Iommi just celebrated his 68th birthday a few days ago. Wish I could be half as cool as he is and Im more than 20 years younger.

[video=youtube_share;hXzAJEKm83U]http://youtu.be/hXzAJEKm83U[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LQUXuQ6Zd9w]http://youtu.be/LQUXuQ6Zd9w[/video]

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to 5 clubs last night and saw a bunch of crazy and amazing local talent. The one club I missed and didnt make it to a good friend was playing his first gig (with a new band) with a band of friends so he is my best guitarist for today. Ran into a musician budd who has a side gig as a tech for other players and he said to put his latest boss on our list- Mr Peter Frampton. Add another master of the Les Paul to the list, Peter Frampton.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That particular performance just seems amazing to a non-player like me. Plus I love the song.
I've always been either the only guitarist or the lead guitarist in bands and I know the 2nd leads and rythym players backing us up dont get much respect. I try to show them respect tho for their hard work and for being overlooked a lot of the time. Some players like Dickie Betts needed to step out front for fans to realize how awesome they are.

Malcolm Young, the poor fellow is ill and can't play any more for AC-DC so the Youngs nephew is playing rythym now. You can tell it's not the same even with Angus playing his usual badass self.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom