On the Necessity of Resistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is inconceivable that a single individual armed with a pistol can overwhelm 10 times his number unless those individuals choose NOT to resist.

Brings back the memories of the steak house murders in OKC back in the 70's when the perp herded all those employees into the back and executed them. They just knelt down and let it happen. At any time one or two of them could have rushed the perp and at least had a chance to survive with a wound, or let someone else have a chance at getting away. Sometimes hero's have to die, but your going to anyway, so why not give it a shot??

jrf

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the original post, and I've heard the names and heard of the books, but the following posts make me think I've missed something in the news. Has something locally happened?

I remember years ago the Luby's shooting.

BUT! I have to think here.

If unarmed, despite my attitude or capabilities, won't my actions draw negative attention on my wife and my grandkids? If I have the bravery to move against the bad guy, and nobody else read the books, and nobody else follows my lead, then am I not sealing their death warrant to protect my pride?

I'm not in disagreement with the original post.

Would I be willing to live the remainder of my life suffering the many deaths encountered by a seemingly branded coward, in order to save the life of my wife or grandkids? Yes. Is that cowardice?

Whose lives does one have the right to further endanger simply to protect his pride or to make his final statement about a will to survive.

I realize that is not a good fighting mindset for survival, but the fact that my actions may hasten the death of others, must be considered.
=====
As an aside,
I remember a TV news interview a couple years ago where and armed citizen fired on an armed assailant in a convenience store. The assailant went down, but still crawled around and out the door to be finally arrested by police.

I remember words of the citizen on the news interview. Something to the effect of, and this not a direct qoute "If he'd have decided to shoot back instead of stay down, I'd have been in a World of Hurt--the incident caused me to rethink the firearm I carry."

Details were not presented, it left things open to imagination.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the original post, and I've heard the names and heard of the books, but the following posts make me think I've missed something in the news. Has something locally happened?

I remember years ago the Luby's shooting.

BUT! I have to think here.

If unarmed, despite my attitude or capabilities, won't my actions draw negative attention on my wife and my grandkids? If I have the bravery to move against the bad guy, and nobody else read the books, and nobody else follows my lead, then am I not sealing their death warrant to protect my pride?

I'm not in disagreement with the original post.

Would I be willing to live the remainder of my life suffering the many deaths encountered by a seemingly branded coward, in order to save the life of my wife or grandkids? Yes. Is that cowardice?

Whose lives does one have the right to further endanger simply to protect his pride or to make his final statement about a will to survive.

I realize that is not a good fighting mindset for survival, but the fact that my actions may hasten the death of others, must be considered.

I understand your point of view. But i am always troubled thinking about how many lives may have been saved if more passengers on the planes that hit the world trade centers were taking a chance against boxknives instead of getting on the phones and waiting to see what is going to happen. I also think about the group of people on the flight that went down in Pennsylvania that saved countless lives. I realized they died along with the rest off the passengers but their actions saved many. I don't think one moment of pride was part of their considerations to make a move or not. In life or death situations, there is only the will to survive. I am not disregarding your statement of whether you have the right to endanger others for survival. I just think that if it's a life or death situation ( and i know there could be countless what if scenarios and possible exceptions) everyone is already in danger. There are obviously times when compliance with a BG's demands end in no life loss but there are also many times when complete compliance with BG demands ends in deaths. It's a gamble. One that you didn't want but one that is happening anyways. It's like magically being transported to a Las Vegas Craps table only without wanting to be there and finding out that the next roll of the dice will determine if you live or die. Are you going to let someone else roll those dice for you. I don't know about you, but in a life or death situation that i never wanted to be in.......Pass me the dice.

jrf

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I figured that flight would get mentioned.
I wasn't on it. And I trust you weren't either.
I had no phone conversations with the passengers.
I've not watched the movie.

I don't know what I'd do. What I like about the post is to BE PREPARED emotionally to act, do not be a lamb led to slaughter.

No mention of the holocaust has been made in this thread. Perhaps too widespread.

What I gather from the post, is people must stand up against violence. People need to have good values, not just selfish, "my own survival" values, but those that consider society. If one has the right values, and is mixed with others that have the right values, when one stands up against violence, then there is no doubt that others will follow.

There are no brave versus cowards. There are no strong versus weak. There is a group of individuals, each with fear of some sort, overcoming each fear, inspired by ?????, to save life, whether one's own or others.

The post focuses on the inspiration.

==
If you let someone else roll the dice, attention will be on that person while you make your move.

Crappy huh? Everybody thinks different.

Drivers on the road--if folks don't drive like me and read my mind, they're labled as idiot drivers, but I don't see the road through their windshield.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drivers on the road--if folks don't drive like me and read my mind, they're labled as idiot drivers, but I don't see the road through their windshield.
Right, but it's universally accepted that if they are camping out in the left lane, they are indeed idiots.

Er....I really don't know where I was going with that, but that doesn't make my statement any less valid.
:lookaroun

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread........

:bolt:

infotechsailor

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would also mention another thing that binds these psycho shooters on a bad trip...

the use of psychotropic drugs and serotonin reuptake inhibitors...

I think the FDA should really reconsider their approval of these, or at least make it much more difficult to go on these... or maybe at least be more open about the side effects...

just look at any mass shooting or horrific event... it almost always involves a mental patient on a bad trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom