Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wish they would grant us back our rights. It seems the Constitution is just about what was and not about what is anymore. If I want to open carry, or CCW, for that matter, I should be able to do it without someones permission. I have a permit now, but I don't believe I should have to. I have military and LEO training and I believe that is substantial to carry safely.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:26 AM
To: Sue Tibbs
Subject: HB1414

Hello, I am writing you regarding the status of house bill 1414 submitted during the previous session. The bill was previously left in committee to conduct research. I trust that research has been completed during the past year and would like to know when we can expect to see this bill on the floor for a vote.

Thank you for your time
Carl Hervey

Dear Carl:

Thank you for your email. There will be an open carry bill this year.

Sue Tibbs

She may just be blowing smoke up my butt hopefully not we'll see.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a real fan of open carry. I'll never do so. The only advantage to me would be that I wouldn't get in trouble if I somehow let someone see my concealed weapon. That said, I believe in the Constitution, so may have to live with it. My concerns are that there are too many immature John Wayne wannabes out there who don't know a muzzle from a hammer.

A wise old lawman once observed that someone who open carries in the wrong place will get a bullet in the back of the head before he realizes there is a gunfight about to happen.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a big fan of open carry from a tactical perspective but I don't think it should be illegal.

I would be in favor of allowing all who possess a valid SDA permit the option to carry open or concealed.

Some may view this as an infringement upon our 2nd Amendment rights but I don't agree. I'd say it's a step forward in making firearms more mainstream.

And the mainstream is what we need on our side.

Michael Brown

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a real fan of open carry. I'll never do so. The only advantage to me would be that I wouldn't get in trouble if I somehow let someone see my concealed weapon. That said, I believe in the Constitution, so may have to live with it. My concerns are that there are too many immature John Wayne wannabes out there who don't know a muzzle from a hammer.

A wise old lawman once observed that someone who open carries in the wrong place will get a bullet in the back of the head before he realizes there is a gunfight about to happen.

I think folks who say we need some kind of "tacticool" training or licence or permit to exercise our God given RKBA are being elitist. We don;t need a license or permit to post on the Internet, do we?
Take a look at this map:
http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Many states are open carry friendly, and I don't see any John Wayne wannabes making a fuss there. Are you saying Oklahomans are somehow different from inhabitants of these states and more immature when it comes to guns? Tat they will start shooting each other if they see guns. OR grab each others guns? I hope you don;t have such a poor opinion of your own state.

While you are on the website, please go to:
http://www.opencarry.org/
and SIGN the OK open carry petition!!!!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a big fan of open carry from a tactical perspective but I don't think it should be illegal.

I would be in favor of allowing all who possess a valid SDA permit the option to carry open or concealed.

Some may view this as an infringement upon our 2nd Amendment rights but I don't agree. I'd say it's a step forward in making firearms more mainstream.

And the mainstream is what we need on our side.

Michael Brown

I advocated this very idea in a previous thread and was flamed for it, maybe you will have better luck.

Simply put we didn't lose our rights in one big fell swoop all of the sudden, rather it happened in incremental little steps forward.

In order to recapture lost ground we need to have a similiar strategy, 14 years ago we got CCW, that was a step forward now we need to take another step. Have a plan of attck to further our agenda step by step not just go for a hail mary pass then hope and pray we get it.

I don't believe we should have to have a permit to carry either but we currently have to so I have a permit.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't get over how crazy some people can get over the mention of the word gun. What's even worse is how bent outa shape gun owners get over the mention of Open Carry.

I could post a novel of quotes and replies to some of the ramblings I have read here and I have read every post in this topic. It would just beat a dead horse. My 2 cents.

I spent the last 5 years living in the BIGGEST OC state of Virginia. With groups like the VCDL and sites like ocdo.org (open carry gun forum) the sky is the limit as to what they can do and have done to make an impact on the gun rights of Virginians. If we had such a prolific voice the sky could be the limit here in OK as to what gun rights laws could be passed for the betterment of all and not ones way of thinking

OC shouldn't be an elected official’s choice for us. That right is in black and white in the 2nd amendment in the right to bear arms. That right shouldn't be restricted as to the caliber, means of carry, or a permit for that matter. OC is a good thing and should be allowed for all law abiding citizens who want the option for themselves to do so.

I suggest those that feel that OC is the Anti-gun Christ spend some time reading the first hand accounts of everyday OCers and the videos of OC rallies and family oriented picnics. Many of which I had attended with my wife and kids. I OC'd every day I could and I also CC'd when it warranted it, mainly in bad weather. NOT ONCE did I ever encounter someone even attempting to disarm me or mention the idea. Sure I was asked all the time why I carried, usually by kids and it made for a good time to talk gun safety, and you'd be amazed at the reaction I got from 98% of the people it was an eye opening experience for them on gun laws and the RTKBA. Well the other 2% was an anti making a stink as they do best. I was involved in several police encounters and again NOT ONCE was I ever detained or harassed. Questioned yes but only in relation to the encounter NONE OF WHICH WAS FOR MY OC’ing.

I never saw gang bangers or wannabe thugs kicking on the street corner OC’ing you just didn’t see it, not saying it didn’t or couldn’t happen. A vast majority of gun carriers carry them selves in a professional manner and dress as such. I’d be willing to bet no one here wears there pants around there ankles and boxers for all to see while carrying. In states like VA and those that have OC anyone would stop and say WTH is wrong with this picture if they saw that. You see a clean cut nicely attired person who happens to be OC’ing and maybe with wife and kids at hand. Would you be inclined to freak out and run screaming into the streets? I think not.

This ranting of tactical this and that is nonsense. I do feel strongly about weapon safety and preach it with every mention of gun talk. I feel everyone should have training for the sake of knowing what they heck they are doing especially for the first timer. I would bet a $1k from those of you who seem to know everyone’s background and are such good profilers on who should and should be carrying a gun this way and that to try it on me. I’m nothing special to look and you’d never know by looking at me but I’d bet I’m a better shot and have had as much or more training and 75% of those posting here who beg for more restrictions on people like me. I hold a CCW in 2 states and I’ll be dammed now that I have moved to OK that I have to go to a class and prove myself worthy. My credentials should be all the proof I need.

I carry to protect my family and myself. I choose to be the wolf and not the sheep. Damb you for labeling those like me that use our rights to OC as having a small penis. I guess you have one as well as you carry, except yours is concealed. Remember “A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost”.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy, where to begin.
First off I have carried a weapon for some form of govt entity since I was 18, I am now 56. As a retired copper I can carry or not as I so choose. A lot of the time I choose not to. Simply put the darn things can be a nuisance. Now that being said that doesn't mean one isnt in my car or truck while traveling.

When the CCW law was first proposed, as a Chief I supported the concept and was ridiculed by other chiefs and PD higher ups at the time. Frankly my reasoning was simple, those who wanted the legal permission to carry would go through all the laws, hoops and hurdles necessary to do this. They would get the training, they would get the back ground check, they would get all the requirements out of the way.

Those persons would not be a problem for Law Enforcement. Frankly speaking that type of mind set, to follow the law even if annoying has never been a problem for LE.

The mokes who would break the law had already been doing so and would continue to do so regardless of ANY law on the book.

That being said, I am old school and seeing a a strapped down hog leg in plain view would be slightly troubling to me personally, but, falling back to my original premise, I would have to accept that those who were open carry, as with those doing concealed would still be the law abiding ones.

What frankly I find disturbing , the elephant in the tent so to speak, that no one is ever willing to consider, discuss debate and bring on at the national level is WHY do a large portion of our citizens feel COMPELLED to carry.?

Its because 50 plus year of permissive anything goes narcissist society has created a criminal element in this country beyond anything we have ever seen, and coupled with a lack of Community resolve to deal with it and a judicial level, ie, lock em up, execute em, bury em and the acceptance that there are no longer communal morales and values, just individual is what has gotten us to this point.

Frankly our grandfathers and great grand fathers had the better idea. You got a thug in town, the towns people dealt with that one, not the courts, not the community outreach programs, not the social workers,........ah, well.... flame away now...............Im old school, and dont like the cops looking like security guards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom