Open Carry!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do we find out which of the sheriff's that don't support opencarry? I wouder if they train their deputies to fallow the law when.it gets signed.

Watch the video in the link posted by David just a couple comments up from your question. Towards the end, approximately 3:40, they show a map of OK and highlight the counties showing which sheriff felt a certain way. For you being in Norman, the Cleveland County Sheriff was undecided.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In other words, is using the threat of force to de-escalate a situation acceptable, or must we retreat at all costs until there is no other option but the use of deadly force? This is the basis of the SYG argument, IMNSHO. You're free to argue it however you like, but belittling others who are engaged in a discussion with you isn't helpful, again, IMNSHO.

The threat of force is not acceptable. "flashing" your gun to deescalate a situation is foolish. You should be ready to draw as soon as you feel the need, and if you do not feel the need, then the situation is not yet escalated to the point where the gun is needed. The choice of when your gun is needed is between you and God.

Your example wasn't necessarily a threat, though. He drew the gun and pointed it at the guy's chest, he just didn't fire. That's not so foolish. I'd call that about the perfect ending, but if it was bad breath distance, yes he should have been firing. I assume the guy was approaching him in an aggressive manner from a distance. That's just my personal opinion, of course. If y'alls differs then more power to you. Like I said, it's between you and God, in the end.

and one more thing, do NOT assume that the situation is over when the bad guy relents. If any of you ever feel the need to "flash" your gun to dissuade a sadsack and his friends from attacking you in the parking lot, just remember you gotta come back out through that mother at some point, too. Except now they know your face, you've threatened them, you've "shown your hand" so they have seen all of your cards, and they've had time to plan.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
BrandonMF said:
The threat of force is not acceptable. "flashing" your gun to deescalate a situation is foolish. You should be ready to draw as soon as you feel the need, and if you do not feel the need, then the situation is not yet escalated to the point where the gun is needed. The choice of when your gun is needed is between you and God.

Your example wasn't necessarily a threat, though. He drew the gun and pointed it at the guy's chest, he just didn't fire. That's not so foolish. I'd call that about the perfect ending, but if it was bad breath distance, yes he should have been firing. I assume the guy was approaching him in an aggressive manner from a distance. That's just my personal opinion, of course. If y'alls differs then more power to you. Like I said, it's between you and God, in the end.

and one more thing, do NOT assume that the situation is over when the bad guy relents. If any of you ever feel the need to "flash" your gun to dissuade a sadsack and his friends from attacking you in the parking lot, just remember you gotta come back out through that mother at some point, too. Except now they know your face, you've threatened them, you've "shown your hand" so they have seen all of your cards, and they've had time to plan.

Eh. I really don't think you get my point at all. But that's ok. It's really not worth arguing about at all.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An odd question for the LEO crowd: Having seen people on other forums say they'll start bombarding Police call lines with reports of "man with a gun", and seeing the Chief of Medford Oregon on the channel 9 news story saying they check out those calls, what will the requirements be for a Law Enforcement response? If a citizen is indeed carrying openly - once it has become legal to do so, of course - at what point does asking to see their license become necessary? Will you need to articulate probable cause for the stop if asked? If so, does a weapon carried in strict accord with State law while no criminal activity is present constitute said cause?

I'm no LEO but ideally LEO will show up, see me filling up my slushy cup, put eggs in the shopping cart or whatever else and be on their way. Asking to see a license will be at the discretion of the officer. You need not be doing anything illegal for them to ask to see your license and no probable cause will need to exist for them to ask. Yes, carrying a firearm in accordance with state law would constitute enough cause for them to violate your 4th Amendment right and ask.

relevant section of SB1733 said:
The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand.

Bolded the new part. On demand....nothing else required. However they do not have the authority to check your firearm or remove it from you. It also says you must display, doesn't say anything about surrender, ie, I need to take this and run it on my computer to make sure it is valid, you don't have any warrants outstanding, anything else I can find on you.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every business owner, home owner and renter should be extremely happy with and supporting the new open carry law as it will allow them to legally open carry a hand gun, rifle or shotgun while on their home or business property without a permit....

We should be educating small business owners and home owners about this new provision of the law...

Pg. 15 of new handgun law--

CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

A. A person shall be pernitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

6. For lawful self defense and self protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented or otherwise legally controlled by the person;

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every business owner, home owner and renter should be extremely happy with and supporting the new open carry law as it will allow them to legally open carry a hand gun, rifle or shotgun while on their home or business property without a permit....

We should be educating small business owners and home owners about this new provision of the law...

Pg. 15 of new handgun law--

CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

A. A person shall be pernitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

6. For lawful self defense and self protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented or otherwise legally controlled by the person;

Fixed it for you. The underline in part A made it seem as if this was authorized by the SDA as opposed to the license be authorized.

Just for clarification, the only new part is item 6.

Good point though.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fixed it for you. The underline in part A made it seem as if this was authorized by the SDA as opposed to the license be authorized.

Just for clarification, the only new part is item 6.

Good point though.

Are you kidding, it didn't need fixing. Your "The underline in part A made it seem as if this was authorized by the SDA as opposed to the license be authorized." doesn't make sense.. section #6 is authorized by the SDA .. a license is not required.

A natural reading of the posted text was self explanatory as it came straight from the new law. All I did was 'highlight' that business owners, home owners and renters would be able to carry loaded handguns, rifles and shotguns on property they controlled... without the need of a permit... which should be of great interest to all business & home owners. You shouldn't be nitpicking people's posts.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I admit that I havent had time to read the law yet, but does this allow me to carry a loaded shotgun by my dash, patrol car style?

Can I carry a Legal SBS? Open or concealed?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I admit that I havent had time to read the law yet, but does this allow me to carry a loaded shotgun by my dash, patrol car style?

Can I carry a Legal SBS? Open or concealed?

Off your property and in your car.. the law will be the same as it has been for the last 17 years concerning rifles & shotguns.

You can go to the OSBI SDA link and click on the Blue booklet to read the applicable law on a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/

Latest posts

Top Bottom