Opinion of Hi-Point Firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a common thread around here. My only experience with HiPoint has been with the 9mm carbine and they are fun plinkers. The company does have a great warranty as well. The guns are built on the low-end of the manufacturing scale so don't expect perfection.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are funny. All you ever hear on gun related sites is "reliability, reliability, reliability". And when a gun comes along that is more reliable than anything under $1,000.00, you have to find some other reason to bash it.

The Hi-Points that I've had the pleasure of shooting were more reliable than the Glock I had. More reliable than any Smith & Wesson (semi-auto) I had. More reliable than any other gun I've had other than my $1,100.00 Kimber.

Granted, it won't shoot tiny groups. But for the average gunfight distance (mere feet), it'll do it's job. So use your hammers, you clubs, or whatever you can get your hands on, but hope an attacker doesn't have a Hi-Point.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reliability is a subjective word...and it is cast around way to much IMHO.

1,000 rounds without a malfunction from a bench or plinking off the back of a pickup over the course of a couple of years may mean "reliable" to one person, where to another "reliable" means 1,000 rounds without failure over the course of a weekend training class.

Therefore, whenever someone pipes up and says "my XXX is reliable", it doesn't mean squat to me unless it matches my own definition.

I'd love to see a hi-point survive the second definition of reliable above...then I might consider one. I'm serious, do the Missouri thing and show me.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a thing wrong with the carbine. I had one, shot it alot. Would shoot minute of bowling pin at 100 yards all day. Made for a fun plinker.

Cannot speak to the handguns, never owned one and I am not keen about talking good or bad about a gun that I never actually owned myself.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Reliability is a subjective word...and it is cast around way to much IMHO.

1,000 rounds without a malfunction from a bench or plinking off the back of a pickup over the course of a couple of years may mean "reliable" to one person, where to another "reliable" means 1,000 rounds without failure over the course of a weekend training class.

Therefore, whenever someone pipes up and says "my XXX is reliable", it doesn't mean squat to me unless it's defined according to my own definition.

I'd love to see a hi-point survive the second definition of reliable above...then I might consider one. I'm serious, do the Missouri thing and show me.

Send me 1000 rounds of 9mm and i'll take it to a THOR Global Defense Group tactical training course or an Appleseed shoot. I'll also cover it in mud and sand to see if it'll jam.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the pistol if it is all you can afford, like stated above, it's better than no gun. However there are many quality guns on the used market for not much more. Honestly though just skip eating out for a week or two and you could easily save enough to get a nice used revolver or there are police trade in autos for not much more than double the highpoint pistol.

check out this site, many good used gun deals.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are funny. All you ever hear on gun related sites is "reliability, reliability, reliability". And when a gun comes along that is more reliable than anything under $1,000.00, you have to find some other reason to bash it.

The Hi-Points that I've had the pleasure of shooting were more reliable than the Glock I had. More reliable than any Smith & Wesson (semi-auto) I had. More reliable than any other gun I've had other than my $1,100.00 Kimber.

Granted, it won't shoot tiny groups. But for the average gunfight distance (mere feet), it'll do it's job. So use your hammers, you clubs, or whatever you can get your hands on, but hope an attacker doesn't have a Hi-Point.
more reliable than anything under $1000? That's a freakin joke. More reliable handguns under $1000: pretty much all Glocks, Smith M&P series, most all SIGs, most HKs, most new Berettas and a whole slew of revolvers. For carbines : almost all AKs, M1 carbines, CMP M1 garands, a long list of ARs, Winchester and Marlin level actions.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

We got a batch of 10 Hi Point pistols at OPS,6-9mm and 4-380.We had to take them,they were part of a "lot" we bought at auction.Out of those 10,4 had catasrrophic failures(fortunately noone was injured) the most dramatic being a 380 the slide broke in half.Hi Point warrantied them but OPS no longer will have anything to do with Hi-Point pistols.To me,anyway, a 40% failure rate inspires much confidence in a firearm.You get what you pay for in life,if you buy a new gun for $129.95,that's just what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom