Opinion of Hi-Point Firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So use your hammers, you clubs, or whatever you can get your hands on, but hope an attacker doesn't have a Hi-Point.

People have been killed with a zip guns,that doesn't mean I want to carry one to defend my life.Go ahead and carry that fine Hi-Point on duty.Good luck with that.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No theres not. The Beretta CX9 is no better and it jammed when I shot it. Not to mention Beretta's customer service SUCKS! If i've got a Hi Point that doesn't shoot right I can send it back to the factory and they'll send it back rebuilt and upgraded with a free magazine to cover the shipping. If i've got a Beretta that doesn't shoot right I might as well throw it in a lake.

Yes there is, I was referring to pistols not the carbine. For around $500 you can get a better gun, not arguing the point, it's a simple fact.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
more reliable than anything under $1000? That's a freakin joke. More reliable handguns under $1000: pretty much all Glocks, Smith M&P series, most all SIGs, most HKs, most new Berettas and a whole slew of revolvers. For carbines : almost all AKs, M1 carbines, CMP M1 garands, a long list of ARs, Winchester and Marlin level actions.

Read the rest of my statement. I've had a Glock. I've had several Smiths. I've even had two Sigs, an HK, and a EAA Witness. They all had issues with jamming every now and then. The Hi-Point I'VE used, never did. In fact, the Glock was the worst of the bunch. It would not only fail to feed, but it stopped firing all together. After only 500 rounds. I know that's unusual for a Glock. But still......

Your mileage may vary.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a 9mm Hi-Point sitting in my safe.
My son bought it in a pinch a couple years ago.
He shoot a few boxes thru it without problem.
I hooked him up with a Kahr so the HP sits in the safe.
I think I'll dig it out and see how it performs.

To me they look just like a Glock............jes' kiddin'

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the C9 pistol and the 995 TS carbine. Have never had a issue from either.

I've had both as well.

A couple of things:

The C9 wasn't exactly a one-handed field strip exercise, it was pretty stupid to take apart, but possible. Heavy, but I never had a single problem out of it. No FTF/FTEs. Keep it clean!

The carbine was the same. It was left in the sun on the shooting table one hot summer afternoon and the sun had warped the stock like a macaroni noodle. But after it cooled off, it was straight as new again.

Fun guns, not the easiest to break down and build up, but not impossible by any means. Wouldn't use them in competitions or for CCW, but keep them clean clean clean and if they're like mine, they'll take care of you, too.

I never had to use it, but I've heard Hi-Point has some amazing customer service. If you do some internet searching on the best ways to field strip them, you'll come across stories of people who weren't able to put theirs back together. They called Hi-Point and they sent out a shipment box, accepted the gun, and returned it to them reassembled.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the quality used platforms out there, there's no reason to consider a hi-point for home defense. If someone wants to take a gamble on them for fun then so be it. I don't see how anyone could think they are fun to shoot given their accuracy but that's just me.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With all the quality used platforms out there, there's no reason to consider a hi-point for home defense. If someone wants to take a gamble on them for fun then so be it. I don't see how anyone could think they are fun to shoot given their accuracy but that's just me.

I'm not taking a gamble, I have full confidence in my guns capability to defend me and my family. I don't know where you kooks get the idea that these things are unreliable, the only thing I hear from actual owners is rave reviews of their reliability. The only bashing i've heard comes from people that have never owned one.

And accuracy? I can pull a 3 inch group at 50 yards with mine. Shooting pistol ammo at that range i'd say thats pretty damn good for a gun I paid $180 for.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where you kooks get the idea that these things are unreliable, the only thing I hear from actual owners is rave reviews of their reliability. The only bashing i've heard comes from people that have never owned one.

No need to resort to name calling. If you love your hi-point, more power to you, but we aren't calling your wife ugly so simmer down (well ok, some guys like their guns more than their wives so I can see the sensitivity...LOL).

See my earlier post about reliability...what is your standard of reliability, and what conditions have you used to test it?

Not flaming, I'm really curious. Reliability means different things to different people.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not taking a gamble, I have full confidence in my guns capability to defend me and my family. I don't know where you kooks get the idea that these things are unreliable, the only thing I hear from actual owners is rave reviews of their reliability. The only bashing i've heard comes from people that have never owned one.

And accuracy? I can pull a 3 inch group at 50 yards with mine. Shooting pistol ammo at that range i'd say thats pretty damn good for a gun I paid $180 for.

Kooks? Would that include the 40% catastrophic failure rate from the ones OPS had? I equate hipoint to about 1/2 step above bryco, jennings, raven and jimenez. It baffels me why someone would pay amlost $200 for one when a quality platform would cost $1-200 more. 3 inch groups at 50'? Is that a pistol or carbine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom