Opinion of Hi-Point Firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not taking a gamble, I have full confidence in my guns capability to defend me and my family. I don't know where you kooks get the idea that these things are unreliable, the only thing I hear from actual owners is rave reviews of their reliability. The only bashing i've heard comes from people that have never owned one.

I don't own one because I've seen too many junkers from people that decided to pick one up. It's just not worth it to me. YMMV.

And accuracy? I can pull a 3 inch group at 50 yards with mine. Shooting pistol ammo at that range i'd say thats pretty damn good for a gun I paid $180 for.

Yeah, I'm sorry but this pegs my BS meter something fierce.

Some of what you are seeing is gun snobbery.

Not really, it's logic. When it comes to self defense, one should eliminate as many variables as possible. Hi-point is hit or miss. I've heard the "that's all they can afford arguement" but there are just too many cheap options out there. Be it cheap shotgun, revolver, used glock, etc etc.....

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I'm not getting into name calling or my dad can beat up your dad or I got McDonalds and you got a well fare burger. But if you want one for plinking or whatever you want to use it for and can afford it then get one if you want something else get it. Thats the great thing about where we live, freedom of choice. I just bought a Hi-point carbine and I'm going to shoot it and if I don't like it I'll sell it, if I like it I'll keep it and plink away with it.

It all comes down to get what you want. I've had all kind of guns from pistols to rifles and shotguns. Some expensive and some cheap. But I shoot all and made my mind up afterwards....

I guess my point is you chose, or find someone with one and shoot it.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I'm not getting into name calling or my dad can beat up your dad or I got McDonalds and you got a well fare burger. But if you want one for plinking or whatever you want to use it for and can afford it then get one if you want something else get it. Thats the great thing about where we live, freedom of choice. I just bought a Hi-point carbine and I'm going to shoot it and if I don't like it I'll sell it, if I like it I'll keep it and plink away with it.

It all comes down to get what you want. I've had all kind of guns from pistols to rifles and shotguns. Some expensive and some cheap. But I shoot all and made my mind up afterwards....

I guess my point is you chose, or find someone with one and shoot it.

Your comments have offended me and my father is currently on his way to beat up your father. Good day sir.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if you go to use it and it goes click instead of bang - its real hard to explain to a bad guy that you "didn't mean to shoot him" when you failed to do so.

Pretty much. Hey, why not have a real test: Will Andrew's DH1 is absolute bargain basement at $60, at H&H. Someone with a HP take the class, and report back. 400 rounds, modest speed, good performance demanded of the shooter. I did it with a Grock...;)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing that gets me about the "can't afford more" argument, is that there are options for not much more at all.

CZ-82 for $210

Bulgarian Makarov for $230

Polish P83 for $250

If you don't want to deal with the 9x18 ammo...
FM90 9mm (Browning HiPower clone) for $290

Bersa .380 for $280

Glock 22 .40 S&W for $350

Star BM 9mm for $270

CZ 83 in .380 Auto for $170

Ruger P95 9mm for $295

Ruger P85 9mm SS for $250

Not to mention you can pick up a cheap shotty just about anywhere.

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've yet to see any serious test of them in use for any duty/carry/class/battle-environment where they were proven reliable enough for me to depend on one to save my life.

FYI, Justin at Way of the Multigun is doing a comparison test of a Hi-Point against a CZ-85.
I will objectively test the Hi-Point C-9 under competitive settings.

-I will shoot the Hi-Point at no less than six local Steel Challenge matches.
-It will be entered into the matches as a second entry, so I will shoot it against my primary Production Division CZ-85, which will be the gun used as a benchmark.
-I will use the same ammunition for both guns.
-Both guns will be used to shoot the same stages at least three times each.
-I will post the results of how I placed at each match with both guns.
-I will dutifully log any and all malfunctions, failures, and breakages with both firearms so that they may be compared for relative levels of reliability.

If, after shooting the Hi-Point at these six matches, I manage to place higher with the Hi-Point, I will compete at a state-level Steel Challenge match with this gun. If provided with Hi-Point branded apparel (hat, shirt, etc.) I will wear it during this match.

However, if the Hi-Point fails to live up to the reputation of its online adherents and I do not place as well as or better with the Hi-Point, or it fails mechanically to the point where I can no longer use it at matches, I reserve the right to bag on Hi-Point guns to my heart's content from now until the day I die.

Throwing down the challenge
Pistol supplied
Match 1
Match 2

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At Banner and H&H, I've noticed several bullets from hi-points have found there way onto my target. Also 2 people were having serious issues with theirs. This combined with the horror stories would keep me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom