Opinion of Hi-Point Firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's interesting that the quality gunshops in Tulsa won't carry Hi-point IMO, considering nobody apparently has any problems with them. :D

It's probably because there is no profit margin on them compared to the $500.00+ guns.

You mark up a $500.00 by 10% and you make $50.00. You mark up a $125.00 gun by 10%, and you make $12.50. That's not even worth maintaining paperwork for, unless you can move a lot of them like some of the other shops.

GoodGuy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I sell the **** out of Hi-Points (when I can get them from my distributor).

When people ask, I say "Yes, they're not very pretty. Yes, they're a little heavy, considering they're only a 9 round gun. BUT, for considerably less than 200 bucks, you're getting an American made, lifetime guaranteed, reliable firearm that always goes bang when you squeeze the trigger. Does the fact that they're ugly and a bit heavy really matter?"

Of course, the reason I sell so many (when I can get them) probably has something to do with the fact that my prices are considerably lower than anyone else in the area who sells them (According to my customers, anyway. I don't check, I just price them what I think is fair.).

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's probably because there is no profit margin on them compared to the $500.00+ guns.

You mark up a $500.00 by 10% and you make $50.00. You mark up a $125.00 gun by 10%, and you make $12.50. That's not even worth maintaining paperwork for, unless you can move a lot of them like some of the other shops.

But, if they were "just as good as" a Glock they would "move a lot of them" and make a lot of money and not have to worry about anyone ever bringing one back because it didn't work.

Look, if a HiPoint is all you can afford and it works for you, great. But to say they are "as good as" a Glock or S&W or even an M1 Garand is just ludicrous.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But, if they were "just as good as" a Glock they would "move a lot of them" and make a lot of money and not have to worry about anyone ever bringing one back because it didn't work.

Not if the gun shops, and it's customers, are as close minded about them as some here are.

Look, if a HiPoint is all you can afford and it works for you, great. But to say they are "as good as" a Glock or S&W or even an M1 Garand is just ludicrous.

Have you ever owned one? Have you ever even shot one? If not, see statement above.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if the gun shops, and it's customers, are as close minded about them as some here are.

Have you ever owned one? Have you ever even shot one? If not, see statement above.

Not closed minded at all. My opinion comes from the many soldiers I see at the Personally Owned Weapons range at Fort Sill who bought them because it was all they could afford. They bring them out to the range and the vast majority of them have nothing but trouble with them. I have shot the few that did work and have tried to help the guys with the many I have seen that didn't work. My opinion of them is based on what I have seen with my own two eyes. I have had one of my soldiers have a problem with a Glock too, but it was the broken aftermarket guiderod/spring he had put in it. We put the factory guiderod/spring back in and it was back to 100%. Do I think that Glocks are bad because of this one incident with an aftermarket part, no. Do I think that HiPoints are inferior based on the many I have seen that don't work, yes. But, like I said earlier, if it works for you and you are happy with it, great. It seems to me that the HiPoint fan boys are the ones with the "closed minds", because they do not want to hear anything from the folks who have had or seen problems with them. Anyway, since I won't convince you and you won't convince me, I am done with this thread. You all have a nice day and I hope your HiPoint continues to work good for you.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The shops I'm thinking of have no problem moving volume so I don't think that's it. :D

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think its especially funny that fanboys (and I'm not calling anyone out here - I myself have been guilty of some of this as I am a Sig fanboy) can make bold statements such as "My favorite brand is just as good/reliable/accurate as XYZ brand" with absolutely no proof and that's not taken personally by folks who own brand XYZ.

But as soon as someone posts about their negative experience (which is proof) with the favorite brand in question, everyone gets upset as though someone just talked smack about your gun - that's not the case.

Now granted, there are the occasional rude comments made, and a lot of folks talk about things they have no personal experience with, but when people actually talk about real instances of the favorite brand failing, they are immediately labeled as snobs, or cocky/pompous, etc...

It happens all the time in the AR brand arguments (which I'm not trying to bring up, so please no one post the chart or get into that whole argument), as well as handguns, optics, etc...

For the most part everyone is civil about their brand of choice because their brand has been proven in one form of test or another - so smack-talking (in the friendly sense) is no big deal since you know your gun has been proven in the hands of (insert your LEO agency, military agency, etc... here).

It seems like only when a brand has no basis for being claimed to be so great do folks get the most upset about someone having the audacity to so much as say a single thing bad about their favorite gun.

And just for reference, when you say this: "My gun is just as accurate/reliable as XYZ"

The following is not a good defense of the above statement:

"My dealer says (insert stuff that doesn't matter because gun dealers are trying to sell guns)".

"Ive never heard of any problems with my brand (again not important if you're not actively doing your research on them - and if you've never heard of a problem with Hi-Point firearms, you're seriously not looking - google is your friend).

"I've never had any problems (and no mention of the fact that do date, you've only put a few hundred rounds through the gun)".

"I've never put 1000rds through it in a day"
"I only put a few mags through it (followed by explanation as to how you will only need a few mags in a self defense situation, so that should be enough)"
"The gun will spend most of its life in a safe"

This isn't any real proof. If you heard similar statements, would you buy a car solely on this sort of advice?

Real proof is a lot different than hearsay or very limited examples of a gun not failing. To require more than this is not snobbery, its common sense. Hi-Points (especially their handguns) have a higher failure rate than nearly any other gun listed in this thread that it is supposedly "just as" good as when put to hardcore tests. Those are facts, not "gun snobbery".

As has been said, the carbine is a better gun than their handguns, but I'd not use one to defend my life with until it had been thoroughly tested to not fail when I needed it.

We have more than enough folks on here to perform a test that will put this to rest once and for-all if need be.

Someone should easily be able to take a carbine and compete in a practical carbine match, put it through a 1000rd test or even take a class with it if it will shut up the fanboy no-proof arguing. Same goes for any of their handguns.

Any of you Hi-Point advocates should have no problem donating a gun to this cause for a month or so if your guns can handle 1000+rds of ammo without a hiccup.

kickface

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think its especially funny that fanboys (and I'm not calling anyone out here - I myself have been guilty of some of this as I am a Sig fanboy) can make bold statements such as "My favorite brand is just as good/reliable/accurate as XYZ brand" with absolutely no proof and that's not taken personally by folks who own brand XYZ.

But as soon as someone posts about their negative experience (which is proof) with the favorite brand in question, everyone gets upset as though someone just talked smack about your gun - that's not the case.

Now granted, there are the occasional rude comments made, and a lot of folks talk about things they have no personal experience with, but when people actually talk about real instances of the favorite brand failing, they are immediately labeled as snobs, or cocky/pompous, etc...

It happens all the time in the AR brand arguments (which I'm not trying to bring up, so please no one post the chart or get into that whole argument), as well as handguns, optics, etc...

For the most part everyone is civil about their brand of choice because their brand has been proven in one form of test or another - so smack-talking (in the friendly sense) is no big deal since you know your gun has been proven in the hands of (insert your LEO agency, military agency, etc... here).

It seems like only when a brand has no basis for being claimed to be so great do folks get the most upset about someone having the audacity to so much as say a single thing bad about their favorite gun.

And just for reference, when you say this: "My gun is just as accurate/reliable as XYZ"

The following is not a good defense of the above statement:

"My dealer says (insert stuff that doesn't matter because gun dealers are trying to sell guns)".

"Ive never heard of any problems with my brand (again not important if you're not actively doing your research on them - and if you've never heard of a problem with Hi-Point firearms, you're seriously not looking - google is your friend).

"I've never had any problems (and no mention of the fact that do date, you've only put a few hundred rounds through the gun)".

"I've never put 1000rds through it in a day"
"I only put a few mags through it (followed by explanation as to how you will only need a few mags in a self defense situation, so that should be enough)"
"The gun will spend most of its life in a safe"

This isn't any real proof. If you heard similar statements, would you buy a car solely on this sort of advice?

Real proof is a lot different than hearsay or very limited examples of a gun not failing. To require more than this is not snobbery, its common sense. Hi-Points (especially their handguns) have a higher failure rate than nearly any other gun listed in this thread that it is supposedly "just as" good as when put to hardcore tests. Those are facts, not "gun snobbery".

As has been said, the carbine is a better gun than their handguns, but I'd not use one to defend my life with until it had been thoroughly tested to not fail when I needed it.

We have more than enough folks on here to perform a test that will put this to rest once and for-all if need be.

Someone should easily be able to take a carbine and compete in a practical carbine match, put it through a 1000rd test or even take a class with it if it will shut up the fanboy no-proof arguing. Same goes for any of their handguns.

Any of you Hi-Point advocates should have no problem donating a gun to this cause for a month or so if your guns can handle 1000+rds of ammo without a hiccup.

Where is YOUR proof? If some one who has the gun in question has never had any problems with it how is that any less proof than some one who has heard stories from people? If they are so bad, where are all the pics of blown up guns? Or all the videos of these "Jam o'matics"?

It seem to me that if some one asks 'What do you thing about hipoints?', if you answer you should have some real experience with the firearm in question.

Almost all of the negative responses fall in to the 'It is cheap, and not a glock so my friends hate it and I DO TOO!'

These guns are what they are. They are heavy, cheap, and in my experience with the actual guns, reliable and accurate. They are not hi-end weapons, and I don't thank any one is calming that they are, but the do work and are reliable enough.

But I do love all the 'I trained the navy in desert warfare for 73 years, 99% of the time when some one pull the trigger on the hipoint it would jam then explode! Get a kimber' and my all time favorite 'I was at the range one day and some one shot my target! And you know what?........ It was a hipoint.:rollingla

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to put 1,000 rounds thru a weapon in a single day to "prove" it's reliable? In most cases, where a firearm is used for self defense, how often do you think a person shoots 1,000 rounds a day thru it? Is that taking the time to clean it every so often? Or not?

I had a Colt Python at one time. Beautiful gun. Very well made. But I know for a fact that it wouldn't survive that kind of test. Yet hundreds of police officers have used them for years without any issues. That same thing could be said about the S&W 66, and 686 revolvers.

I find that kind of requirement a little absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom