OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, this is one of my favorite places in Alabama! There's plenty to take pictures of.....

Natural Bridge: A True Hidden Gem In Alabama (onlyinyourstate.com)

That website will give you plenty of unique things in each state you should visit. Good luck!

Saw something on the internet about Natural Bridge earlier today. We'll have to see if we can get to it or not, depending on what area of Alabama we are tasked with to work.

But, speaking of natural bridges, there is also one in Wyoming, which is (if I remember right) only one of three natural bridges with water under it. Its named the Ayers Natural Bridge.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a Natural Bridge in Kentucky as well, not too far from Lexington. I thought that's what you were talking about, and was like what does that have to do with Alabama?? :rollingla

https://www.kentuckytourism.com/outdoors/natural-attractions/natural-bridge

natbridge_horz.jpg

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning guys,

I booked a 4 day stay in Gatlinburg, TN for our anniversary this year. We will be there May 27 - May 31. Any advice on what to see and do while we are there?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a Natural Bridge in Kentucky as well, not too far from Lexington. I thought that's what you were talking about, and was like what does that have to do with Alabama?? :rollingla

https://www.kentuckytourism.com/outdoors/natural-attractions/natural-bridge

natbridge_horz.jpg

There are natural bridges in Utah as well, and probably several other places around the states. Utah even has at least three in the Natural Bridges National Monument. I think it is Kachina Bridge that also has petroglyphs around it.

Natural Bridges National Monument

I wanted to go there back in November, but with all there was to see in the other national parks and such, we just didn't have time to go there. So, I suspect that we will plan yet another excursion sometime to go back to Utah.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got lucky this last November on our trip to Utah and Arizona. Normally, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon closes at the first snowfall. While the lodge and other rental places and other business things were closed, the roads were still open, and we could still get to most all of the sights we wanted to see. The only one I elected to pass on was the Cliff Springs Trail, and that was because of snow and ice possibly being on that trail.

On the other hand, it was great to get around the lodge area and not have to deal with a whole lot of people.

The Lodge from the east side on the canyon side.

The Lodge from the west side on the canyon side.

Other lodging spaces are scattered around the vicinity of the Lodge.

Chipmunk enjoying the view, and possibly a snack.

While the North Rim is beautiful in itself, it doesn't offer the sweeping vistas that one sees at the South Rim.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning all. Terry, I had a friend that worked two summers at that lodge while he was at OSU. This would have been 1967 & 68, I believe. He had several great stories, and pics of those summers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning all. Terry, I had a friend that worked two summers at that lodge while he was at OSU. This would have been 1967 & 68, I believe. He had several great stories, and pics of those summers.

It was a bit tricky going out to Bright Angel Point there in the Lodge area to take pictures. There was one section of about 20 feet or so that was pretty slickery. (And yes, there was a dropoff into the canyon not too far away.) I made it out, even with my tricky knee, but the wife chose not to even try. I think Eric (our youngest son) made it out as well, but I could be wrong about that.

The one disappointment that I had on that whole vacation was that we didn't have time to drive down to and hike out to The Citadel or Fallen Roof Ruins. I guess that means I'll have to plan on another trip out there. The Citadel Ruins are out on that promontory out into the canyon, and what is cool about it is that it wouldn't have taken much to defend their "homes" with that narrow access point to get there.

Two other cool things was near or in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park.

Newspaper Rock

Cave Springs Trail kind of looped around one small area of The Needles District. There is a spring in the cave that provides water for the area. Back in the older days, they set up a cowboy camp right in the overhang.

Another part of the Cave Springs Trail involved climbing a couple of old ladders.

Wife and youngest son there at the top. Next photo was of part of the Needles District from the top of the trail at Cave Springs Trail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom