Osage Nation Naval Oil Reserve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool video, grew in Bartlesville and hunted all over eastern Osage Co. Amazing how well, and many of those stone block building are still standing. Assuming the cheerleaders with the "G"s were from Grainola?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recognize several of those places. Probably been on horse back or walked through a lot of them back in the day. I saw the school in Grainola where my mom went to school, and I believe a school in Shidler.

The remnants of the "company towns" are still there in places.

There is so much history about this county that I still live in that it would take a library to hold all of the books that could be written about it.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question of clarification for those with more knowledge: My understanding of the Naval Reserve area was just centered on Grayhorse Road, east of Fairfax, and did not include Burbank, Little Chief, Webb City, Carter Nine, Shidler, WhizBang (DeNoya) - I understood the latter places were part of either the North or South Burbank Unit.

Also, I expect the "G" on the cheerleaders' sweaters was for Grayhorse school. Two of my cousins attended that school when they lived in Texaco company housing on Naval Reserve. They graduated from Fairfax High School, as did I several years behind them. My dad also worked for Texaco on Naval Reserve.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question of clarification for those with more knowledge: My understanding of the Naval Reserve area was just centered on Grayhorse Road, east of Fairfax, and did not include Burbank, Little Chief, Webb City, Carter Nine, Shidler, WhizBang (DeNoya) - I understood the latter places were part of either the North or South Burbank Unit.

Also, I expect the "G" on the cheerleaders' sweaters was for Grayhorse school. Two of my cousins attended that school when they lived in Texaco company housing on Naval Reserve. They graduated from Fairfax High School, as did I several years behind them. My dad also worked for Texaco on Naval Reserve.

Yes the Naval Reserve is East of Grayhorse. Sad to say but the last I heard most of the reserve had been purchased by Ted Turner ? Anyway it now runs buffalo on the area, bad part is try driving down a COUNTY road and see if you get followed or even stopped byt ranch hands who think they can demand to know why you are on the road. Heck I wont even tell a LEO where I have been or where I am going. :) Not sure why the problem, but doing this will lead to an unpleasant mess.

If you are interested in more of these go to you tube and search Ghost towns of Oklahoma.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to school with Clay Donaldson and knew his sister a little bit. Quite a few stories about his dad.............. :eek2:
Clay had his own share of interesting things too.
Little Las Vegas................heard plenty about that as a teen running the area.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was very strange....my dad grew up in Avant, one of 14 surviving children, and some of those pictures looked like they were right out of our family photo album. Very strange sensation watching that and seeing pictures so much like those I've seen before. Makes miss my father very much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom