Osage Nation Naval Oil Reserve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stories like that are why I chuckle when folks get all reminiscent and want to talk about the halcyon days of "Honest and hard working men of honor" in comparison to politicians and business men of today. Seems to me plenty of folks back then were just as (if not more) ruthless, brutal and crooked.

Same story, different decade...

B. Antonii

New to the site!
Reaction score
Clays Dad Bobby, beat two men to death and carried one of them around in the back of his pickup until a gas station attendant in Burbank noticed the smell, and moved some feed sacks. He spent a couple of years in the pen for for each.

When I was 15 years old, I was a cowboy for the Hadden ranch during round-up.
All of the local ranches shared cowboys during round up and I got paired with Bobby Donaldson for a week on his ranch. Told me to come back and fish his ponds any time I wanted.

One weekend I drove my Honda 50 Motorcycle to his house and knocked on the door. No answer, but he told me to come any time, so I went out to the pond a 1/2 mile behind his house. About 8am, I saw his pickup pull up on the hill behind the pond, and the next thing I saw was a plume of water in the pond, and a boom.

He was shooting at me. Left everything, and got to my bike and got the hell out across the pastures. Had to drag the cycle under the back fence to get out. The guy was a mean drunk and Clay was no better.

Clay was being chased by an OHP when he topped a hill on HWY 18 and did a bat turn and hit the OHP cruiser head on resulting in the officer getting a broken arm if I remember right.

He spent one night in jail. Mom was an Osage Princess. Lots of influence in Osage county.

I heard Bobby got beat into a vegetable on his own place. Saw him a couple of times in the nursing home across the road from where I worked at the time.

Tried to talk to him once, and it was impossible. Who ever did it, did a good job. There are rumors about who did It that I won't repeat.

Clay ended up becoming a minister, and a traveling preacher for awhile, then beat the heck out of his wife enough times that she left him, and he lived in a tepee at little las vegas for a year or so.

About two years ago, he beat his girl friend to death, and then swallowed a 12 gauge. The cycle has been broken.

Oh yeah, I could write a book....or two.

B. Antonii

New to the site!
Reaction score
Clays Dad Bobby, beat two men to death and carried one of them around in the back of his pickup until a gas station attendant in Burbank noticed the smell, and moved some feed sacks. He spent a couple of years in the pen for for each.

All of the local ranches shared cowboys during round up and I got paired with Bobby Donaldson for a week on his ranch. Told me to come back and fish his ponds any time I wanted.

One weekend I drove my Honda 50 Motorcycle to his house and knocked on the door. No answer, but he told me to come any time, so I went out to the pond a 1/2 mile behind his house. About 8am, I saw his pickup pull up on the hill behind the pond, and the next thing I saw was a plume of water in the pond, and a boom.

He was shooting at me. Left everything, and got to my bike and got the hell out across the pastures. Had to drag the cycle under the back fence to get out. The guy was a mean drunk and Clay was no better.

Clay was being chased by an OHP when he topped a hill on HWY 18 and did a bat turn and hit the OHP cruiser head on resulting in the officer getting a broken arm if I remember right.

He spent one night in jail. Mom was an Osage Princess. Lots of influence in Osage county.

I heard Bobby got beat into a vegetable on his own place. Saw him a couple of times in the nursing home across the road from where I worked at the time.

Tried to talk to him once, and it was impossible. Who ever did it, did a good job. There are rumors about who did It that I won't repeat.

Clay ended up becoming a minister, and a traveling preacher for awhile, then beat the heck out of his wife enough times that she left him, and he lived in a tepee at little las vegas for a year or so.

About two years ago, he beat his girl friend to death, and then swallowed a 12 gauge. The cycle has been broken.

I am very saddened to read of Clay’s death. I knew him from school, and once did go out to the ranch house to aquire some old tractor parts for a class when I first met his father, Bobby. I had hoped to meet up with certain old friends, or learn where they were or what may have happened to them. It is a great disappointment to learn of those things I did not know, and be reminded of what I did know. It is not a surprise regarding Bobby, however; it is sad to write it so, but this is all under the bridge. At least I have at last, learned the last chapter. Where is Clay interred, what cemetery, if anyone knows. Thank you. Antonii

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very saddened to read of Clay’s death. I knew him from school, and once did go out to the ranch house to aquire some old tractor parts for a class when I first met his father, Bobby. I had hoped to meet up with certain old friends, or learn where they were or what may have happened to them. It is a great disappointment to learn of those things I did not know, and be reminded of what I did know. It is not a surprise regarding Bobby, however; it is sad to write it so, but this is all under the bridge. At least I have at last, learned the last chapter. Where is Clay interred, what cemetery, if anyone knows. Thank you. Antonii
I don't have a clue where he was buried. Some of those ranches in the Osage have family plots back in the hills but I don't know about this family.
Several family plots around Greyhorse.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"About two years ago, he beat his girl friend to death, and then swallowed a 12 gauge. The cycle has been broken."
I used to work with the girlfriend's brother. She was from a good family. Another Donaldson story from an old friend that has passed away now. My friend back in those days was a party animal and ran with the Donaldsons some. He woke up one Sunday morning after a night of drinking in old man Donaldson's new car with a hand full of money. He said he didn't remember anything and he was scared.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rode past this just now and remembered this thread.View attachment 174729
20200918_074514.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
View attachment 174747

Last edited:

27Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I remember the incident with the OHP quite well. The first part of that story starts during an assembly at Ponca City High School. Clay was seated in a row with other students and leaned over two rows of kids and started tapping another kid on the head. A fight broke out. We got the combatants separated and took them to the office. When told that he was going to be suspended for fighting, Clay asked if he could have lunch first. When told no that he had to leave, Clay left in a huff and got stopped for speeding. The officer either gave him a warning or a ticket when further irritated him. He took off in a reckless manner and the officer turned on the lights again to stop him. Clay turned down a county road and the officer had to back off because he was blinded by the dust. It was at this point that Clay did a 180 and hit the patrol car, knocking it up into the fence line. Clay was wild and woolly but I liked the guy. Was always friendly toward me.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe that Ted no longer own that land the Osage Nation is now the owners and still raise buffalo and cattle on that land for their meat markets they set up during/after Covid. I'm originally from there and still have family around Pawhuska, Wynona, Fairfax, and Hominy, haven't been back in a minute. Spent a lot of time driving back roads all in Osage County. Didn't do much in the oilfield when I was there. But know that area well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom