Pain pill abuse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shuddup ya old lunger! And put down them smokes! You know what can happen when you're smoking around all that oxygen!!!

I'm amazed at all the deliveries that I make to people that have those signs on their front doors..... and all they do is smoke in the house... I digress..

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeh. I know exactly what you mean. In the hospital, after their breathing treatment, they like to go out and smoke. Sometimes we have to assist them out the door with their IV pump. After two or three cigarettes, they're ready to come back in, and want a pain pill or a pain shot.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeh. I know exactly what you mean. In the hospital, after their breathing treatment, they like to go out and smoke. Sometimes we have to assist them out the door with their IV pump. After two or three cigarettes, they're ready to come back in, and want a pain pill or a pain shot.

Addiction, no matter what it is to, is a horrible taskmaster.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes, BB, I feel like I am wasting my time, and am doing no good. I'd rather work an ICU than tend to smokers.

I used to think that way about a lot of things. Now, after my headaches and this neck injury, I'm a lot less "tense" and a lot more forgiving. Drives GC daft ... He doesn't know what to do with me now ... But seriously ... Here's how I look at it ... NONE of us wanted to be old, sick and/or in a position to physically need things that are bad for us. I may not be addicted to my Savella and Gabapentin but I can guarandamtee you I will move heaven and earth to get them because the alternative is to hurt in ways many folks can't imagine. So ... for those folks who have the pain of addiction to deal with I can be a bit more sympathetic than I used to be.

I had a young resident ask me straight out one time if I was "medication seeking". Told him I sure as ****ing was because my head felt like it was on fire and every time I blinked my eyes it felt like my eyelids were moving over broken glass. Not to mention that every time I took a breath the sound of it made me so sick to my stomach I was having the dry heaves. Then I told him in no uncertain terms that I was pretty sure that if he had half the amount of pain I was dealing with at that time he'd have already emptied out the medicine cabinet back there and then run down to the surgery suites to huff on the anethestic machine! I didn't say it quite that nicely. :lookaroun LOL Little twit ... There are ways to tell if a patient is hurting or not without being condescending ... Bet he doesn't ask a sweaty, shaky old lady who can't see for heaving into the trash can she has with her with a racing pulse and blood pressure through the roof if she is medication seeking ever again! :D (And yes, I got something for my headache! THANK GAWD!!)

I am in no way making excuses for them. But, like me, each of them is just a person. And while it may not seem to me like they are really trying, who knows. Maybe they are trying really, really hard. Some days are just NOT good, ya know?

And you are not the first medical professional I've known who've said that ICU is their preferred place of work.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BB, you are all over OSA tonight, I thought I could get a good OSA fight going! Oh well...

Edit: This was my 1st attempt to intentionally get a really good one going...

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had to take many pain pills in my life. When I dislocated my shoulder when I was 15 they gave me tylenol 3's after they popped it back in place. When I had a toothache back in 07 i got percocet. I dont really like the effect those had on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom