Pieced together AR's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a mechanic so naturally I like taking things apart, or starting with nothing and ending with something amazing. I never have liked too many stock rifles, there are a few I wouldnt mind trying, but I know I would still change things on them

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My main issue with buying a pieced together lately is price. You'll see people clobber together a Model 1 or Delton rifle with a 1/9 twist m4 profile barrel with a carbine gas system, with cheap UTG rails, UTG m4 stock that is "milspec" but made with 6065 aluminum and ask for upwards of $1200. Even $900 is too much, imo for these type of rifles. You can build a rifle primarily consisting of Palmetto State Armory components for less than that and be truer to milspec and own a better quality rifle. I won't even buy a Bushmaster or DPMS from the factory for $1200, let alone a crappier bubba's rifle for $1200.

Exactly, even some local vendors are guilty of somethin similar to this. I'm not afraid of frankenrifles depending who built them and what they used, but at least with Noveske you know you're getting quality and a good backing.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to buy an off the shelf AR. Granted, I only have two, but I built them both from bare receivers. It's simple to do and I learned how an AR worked in the process. I only recently got in to guns, having grown up in a house that didn't have any. Interestingly, my first gun purchase was actually a bare upper and lower. Building them is almost as fun as shooting them. It's addicting, I am currently collecting parts for my 3rd upper and I'm already planning a 4th and 5th in other calibers.

My first AR initially worked fine, but developed some FTE issues later on. After swapping around buffers it's back to shooting 100%. My second AR has been 100% so far, but it's only a few months old. I wouldn't have a problem buying a franken-gun from someone else if the parts that went in to it were brands I liked. I'd treat it like all of my guns, I wouldn't trust it until I had several hundred rounds though it and knew how it performed. I feel that way about factory guns too.

smokingsquirrell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had never owned an AR until I recently returned home from Brazil, but I quickly got my feet wet by building two lowers for myself and two more for a friend. The reasons I didn't buy a factory assembled rifle were price and that I couldn't find one with all the goodies in it I wanted.

BK099

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Frankenstein gun back in early Obama (for ridiculous price) and probably got lucky given my knowledge of the guns components when I bought it. The interchangeability of parts is the beauty of these guns in my opinion. I don't see the problem with assembled guns if quality parts are used.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a quality build using the right parts. The problem is some guy slapping together an AR with the absolute cheapest parts available and saying "it's just as good as a Colt", etc.

No, it's not.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trust the worst out-of-spec parts I've ever seen over some of the folks building ARs out there.

I'm not saying everyone here sucks (or that it's necessarily "rocket-surgery" difficult), but I've seen some handiwork from various goobers who were just learning and instead of taking the time to get the right parts/tools, they tried to force something to work (which doesn't usually go well when you're dealing with steel/aluminum interfacing parts).

I don't mind buying a built-AR, but I am then putting my trust in the individual who built it more than the parts themselves... so I'll buy from some folks but not others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom