Pit Bull attacked my wife's German Shepherd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an FYI both my past pits jumped 6ft privacy fences if they got bored, if they want on your property that gate and fence aren't tall enough to prevent it. As far as waiting for the dog to attack before shooting you could be too late to save your life or a loved ones life, it'll happen in a blink. I'm one of the first to jump to the defense of the breed but I'm a realist. That's not a dog breed to mess around with. No large breed dog that acts fearful or aggressive should be taken lightly.

Glad your dogs going to be OK. A dog at large is fair game you can easily articulate fear of grave bodily harm and are fully justified. Let me ask you this is permanent disfigurement or death worth a relationship with your neighbors?

The white female pit was coy and tried to come up on me from along side the poison ivy hedge as I was post hole digging yesterday. None of this ever has ever happened before, it all started Friday.

Glad your dog is on the mend. Whether your know it now or not, you now have a friend for life.

And about the fence. I once had a Treeing Walker coonhound that learned that he could climb a fence just almost like one of us would, he discovered this ability when a nearby ***** came into heat. Never could keep him in the yard after that. So you may end up having to shoot some dogs regardless. I hate to see dogs put down as much as anybody, but I won't tolerate what you are dealing with.

I took a huge step yesterday when I called the Sheriff's office. That is the 1st time in my life I have called Law Enforcement.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Glad your dogs going to be OK. A dog at large is fair game you can easily articulate fear of grave bodily harm and are fully justified. Let me ask you this is permanent disfigurement or death worth a relationship with your neighbors?
If a dog is wondering off it property, its fair game even if its not in my yard. If it approached me while I'm fixing fence and showed its teeth, it will die, no warning, no hesitation. I was mauled by. Dog when I was 5 yo. Over 100 stitches in my face and neck. One bite was .5 cm above my jugular. I do not mess with any dog that shows aggression. If I dont have a gun, I got a 4" blade and I'll gut them while they chew on my arm.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a dog is wondering off it property, its fair game even if its not in my yard. If it approached me while I'm fixing fence and showed its teeth, it will die, no warning, no hesitation. I was mauled by. Dog when I was 5 yo. Over 100 stitches in my face and neck. One bite was .5 cm above my jugular. I do not mess with any dog that shows aggression. If I dont have a gun, I got a 4" blade and I'll gut them while they chew on my arm.

I am glad you survived, CHenry. There must have been an adult nearby. One hundred stitches, that dog did not intend to get off of you. What happened?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I am glad you survived, CHenry. There must have been an adult nearby. One hundred stitches, that dog did not intend to get off of you. What happened?
I was just entering the gate to my friends back yard on the side of his house. I shut the gate turned and tripped and fell and when I sat up the dog attacked. This was not even a guard dog, it was a spaniel of some sort. The neighbor was right there on the other side of the 4' chain link fence and he reached over and pulled the dog off quickly. It happened fast and I never even knew I had gashes all over my head until they took me inside, put a wet cloth on my face and I asked for a mirror. When I saw all the blood I freaked out (I was only 5-6). Dr. Sylverstine (sp) who is now one of the top plastic surgeons in the state was just starting out then and worked in the ER. He sewed me up and you cant see any scares today.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was attacked and bitten by a dog at 5 as well... in the face, also. Not nearly as bad as CHenry, thank goodness, but I did end up with stitches. I don't play around with strange dogs, either.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: Wife just got off the phone with the vet. He wants to keep the dog one more day, says the dog is doing better, but wants him to walk without collapsing. What he had told me yesterday was that he suspects nerve damage in that right front leg, but that often the nerves will heal themselves to some extent. We are getting him a place ready in the living room where the short haired dachshund stays. He will need to be house broken, and that will be easier with an adult dog like him, who knows the meaning of "No!" than it would be with a puppy.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was attacked and bitten by a dog at 5 as well... in the face, also. Not nearly as bad as CHenry, thank goodness, but I did end up with stitches. I don't play around with strange dogs, either.

When I worked at Tishomingo, they brought in a little boy about that age whose face had been ripped off. Or nearly so. It was not completely detached. It was hanging by skin flaps. We called in a chopper and flew him to Children's. He recovered fully. The dog belonged to his father.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
A friend gave me a Rott puppy once. I was reluctant to take it but I did. When it was about a year old (far from full grown) he showed aggression towards me once. I punched him in the head as hard as I could. Likely hurt my hand worse than him but he new I was indeed the alpha male from that point on. That was the best dog I ever had. Smart too. Very intimidating at 135 pounds and all chest and head.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend gave me a Rott puppy once. I was reluctant to take it but I did. When it was about a year old (far from full grown) he showed aggression towards me once. I punched him in the head as hard as I could. Likely hurt my hand worse than him but he new I was indeed the alpha male from that point on. That was the best dog I ever had. Smart too. Very intimidating at 135 pounds and all chest and head.

My folks have a 175 lb English mastiff... luckily she thinks she's a tiny kitten and is afraid of everything, including her shadow. If she ever figured out she could destroy anyone or anything in the neighborhood, it could be ugly. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom